Exciting news you guys…
Brett and I bought our tickets for Europe yesterday! My parents recently moved to Ireland (yeah, they’re pretty awesome) and for Christmas they gifted all of us kids and our spouses trips to Ireland to visit them. Uh, yeah. Don’t mind if we do! I’ve been looking forward to spending quality time with my parents on their new stomping ground for a while, and now that we have our tickets it’s becoming more of a reality.
After 4 straight years of traveling overseas, it’s been really weird to be stationary for the past 7 or so months. I’m so thankful that New York City is so diverse and full of fun things to do. Did you know that Queens is the most ethnically diverse city in the world?! I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have been able to last as long as I have without traveling if we didn’t live in Queens. I just need different cultures, cuisines, and people in my life!
Another thing that I’m super excited about is that we’re not just going to Ireland, but we’ll be hopping over to Europe and Africa after our week with my parents. Since it’s so easy to travel between countries in Europe and tickets are so much cheaper from Ireland, we decided to just make the most of our summer and see some more countries. Currently our itinerary is 1 week in Ireland, 1 week in Morocco, and 1 week traveling from Barcelona, through southern France, to Cinque Terre Italy. Eeekkkk!! Seriously, I think I’m still in shock.
Have any of you guys traveled in these areas?! I’d love to know any suggestions you have of things to do or places to see!
Okay, so while my summer plans are pretty exciting, these delicious Butternut Carrot Whole Wheat Vegan Muffins are also pretty exciting! They’re so easy to make, contain lots of fiber from whole wheat flour, and have two kinds of vegetables in them. Sweetened with maple syrup alone these muffins won’t give you a huge sugar rush and then crash. They’re great for an easy and nutritious breakfast or as a quick grab-n-go snack.
What’s something you’re really excited about? Big or small, I’d love to hear from you!
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water)
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup butternut squash puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrot
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line 12 muffin tins with silicone muffin liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl prepare your flax eggs by whisking together 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside to gel.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients from whole wheat flour to salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients from the two flax eggs to the grated carrot. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Evenly divid the batter among 12 muffin tins and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.