I’m coming at you today with a simple post and an even simpler recipe. You guys know that I get a lot of my recipe inspiration from my travels, whether that’s from eating at new restaurants, experiencing a new cuisine in a different restaurant or eating a home-cooked meal at someone’s house. This recipe today was inspired by an amazing soup that Brett and I shared during our time in Switzerland, which you can read all about here!
On our second day in Switzerland we went to an amazing, unique restaurant in Zurich that had both vegan and non-vegan options. Brett and I ordered sandwiches and an amazing Broccoli, Cauliflower, Potato and Celery Soup. After one bite of the soup, I knew I would need to recreate it, especially with such simple ingredients. It was so flavorful, yet simple, and made solely from plants. Yes please!
Not long after we got back to China, I attempted to recreate that amazing soup and thankfully had success! This soup is so simple, so healthy and super hearty from the potatoes. I’ve been loving it with my favorite Whole Wheat Sesame Crackers (check this recipe out by the way!) or a side of avocado toast.
I hope you can give this simple delicious Simple Dairy Free Broccoli and Potato Soup! If you do make it, be sure to let me know your thoughts in the comments below or take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creation!
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1½ lb. white potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubed
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth, or a mix
- 1½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ground black pepper
- In a large pot, water sauté the onion until soft.
- Add in the garlic, celery, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, water, salt and pepper. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce everything to a simmer. Allow the vegetables to cook until almost tender, about 10-15 minutes
- Using a immersion blender or carefully in a blender, blend all the ingredients until smooth.
- Reheat and serve warm!