I’m officially trying to clean out our pantry in preparation for our trip home to America on Wednesday. We’ve recently been having some issues with rice weevils (yeah, i know…gross) and since we’ll be gone for 6 months, I want to leave our house as “food empty” as possible so that when we come back in April we won’t be welcomed by lots of tiny black bugs in all of our grains. I seriously don’t know how those little guys do it. One moment I’m looking at a blank wall and the next moment there is a weevil crawling up it. Either they crawl really, really fast or they have some legit jumping skills that I’m unaware of.
Anyways, a while back I had a massive “woe is me” moment when I was really missing American cereal. So I decided to order some boxes on Taobao to satisfy my craving. What’s crazy to me is that I barely ate the cereal and months later I still have a few boxes on my pantry shelf. I guess my years of cereal obsession are over! Thankfully I always sealed the bags well so that the cereal never went stale, but I’m now trying to think of creative ways to use up the cereal before we leave instead of throwing it all away.
That’s where these Raisin Bran Cereal Muffins come into play! I found a really simple recipe from Pinch of Yum and tweaked it a little to make these muffins dairy free and egg free. I even switched the oil out for pumpkin puree. I would have called these muffins Vegan Raisin Bran Cereal Muffins, but after doing some research I realized that Raisin Bran Cereal isn’t actually vegan. It contains vitamin D3 which is actually derived from animals. I didn’t want to throw the cereal away, so still made these muffins and was so happy with how they turned out! Brett loves them as well and they’ve been perfect for snacks and quick breakfasts.
You can mix and match different bran cereals as well, so use whatever you have on hand! However, if the bran cereal you use doesn’t include raisins, I highly recommend adding some in. Let me know if you give these muffins a try and what cereal you use! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creation!
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water)
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 4 cups raisin bran cereal**
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line 16 muffin cups with silicone muffin liners or grease the cups with cooking spray. Set them aside while you prepare the batter.
- In a small bowl, prepare your flax eggs by whisking together 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of warm water. Set aside until thickened.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the 2 cups of non-dairy milk and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Allow the two to sit for a few minutes until a buttermilk forms. It should look subtly thicker or curdled. Once the buttermilk forms, whisk in the remaining ingredients one at a time from top to bottom until a uniform batter forms.
- Divide the batter among your prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins for 13-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
**Other forms of bran cereal should work as well, such as All Bran, Fiber One Bran Cereal, etc.