I’m officially a Fitbit owner.
A.K.A. I’m now one of those weird people who does random things to get in more steps throughout the day.
Some of those weird things may include the following:
Pacing while waiting to use the bathroom.
Stomping my feet during a plane flight.
Walking laps around fast food restaurants while my husband eats.
Going for walks at unusual times of day.
Walking up and down airport corridors during layovers.
Talking the stairs whenever possible.
My mother-in-law has had a Fitbit ever since I’ve known her and whenever we spent time together, we would often guess how many steps we took throughout the day. It really became a fun and addicting game! Then during this last trip to America I found out my sister-in-law and brother-in-law both have Fitbits as well. I also found out that you can follow friends and see how many steps they’re taking throughout the day and also challenge each other to certain goals. So me, being a lover of exercise and tracking fitness progress, finally decided to give in and get one.
So far I’m loving it!
Seriously, why is it so fun to know how many steps you take and flights of stairs you walk up? I don’t fully understand it, but all I can say is it’s fun! It makes my simple walk to language class (about 2 miles in total) seem more exciting and productive. It makes me want to walk to the Wal-mart in our city (about a 4 mile walk total) instead of taking a taxi for $1.50.
Do any of you guys own Fitbits? If so, what weird things have you done to get more steps in? Please, let me know I’m not alone!
Speaking of weird, these Vegan Chocolate Chip Gingersnap Cookies definitely aren’t weird, but they are unique! I don’t know why or when I came across a chocolate gingersnap cookie recipe, but it made me want to create a similar recipe. Instead of chocolate gingersnap cookies though, I decided to keep the base of the cookies basic ginger and just add in some mini chocolate chips.
You guys, these fluffy, little guys are delicious! They’re full of rich spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and, of course, ginger, and sweetened with a mixture of coconut sugar and molasses. Then, with chocolate chips mixed in, these are a sure winner!
I hope you can give these fun, delicious cookies a try! If you do, leave a comment letting me know your thoughts or take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram!
- 1½ cups flour*
- ½ cup coconut sugar**
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger root
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- water if necessary
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Peel the fresh ginger and grate it into small bowl
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil. Once melted stir in the grated ginger and molasses until combined.
- Pour the oil and molasses into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Add water to the dough if necessary, 1 tablespoon at a time, to get all the flour to incorporate into the dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Working quickly, roll pieces of dough into a ball. Place dough balls on your prepared baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the base looks slightly brown.
**Instead of coconut sugar you can also use organic cane sugar.