1 million jump squats later…and I can barely walk.
Do you guys like being sore? I’m that weird person that loves to hobble around my house, scream when I use my foam roller, or yelp at any unexpected touches after a good workout. To me, being sore means I worked hard and pushed my muscles beyond their limits. Usually that also means that results are on their way.
The way I workout has changed so many times over the course of my life. I’ve loathed working out, abused working out, enjoyed working out and probably everything in between. I’ve been obsessed with cardio and gone on weight lifting binges. I’ve also had seasons when I’m too injured to do anything but walk. Yet no matter what phase I’m in, working out is just ingrained in my day to day life. Movement just does the body good, ya know?!
However, the older I get, the quicker and more effective I want my workouts to be. Ain’t nobody got 1.5-2 hours a day to exercise! Somedays that means I just walk to and from class (I mean, come on. How much more effective could working out than by just using my body to go from point A to point B?) Somedays I’ll get some fresh air at the lake near our house and go for a jog while doing my Chinese review. Most days, however, I do less than 30 minute HIIT workouts in my house.
Quick and effective.
Speaking of quick and effective workouts, not too long ago I discovered Kayla Itsines (yeah, I live in a cave) and I am SO glad I did. Her workouts are exactly how I like them: quick and dirty. If you’ve never heard of Kayla Itsines, she started the Bikini Body Guide program that alternates between HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts and LISS (Low Intensity Steady State) workouts. Don’t let the semi-cheesy name fool you. While I don’t agree with her diet plants, her workouts are HARD! Her HIIT workouts are just 28 minutes long, but they are EFFECTIVE. Let me tell you. There are days when it hurts to lie down because my body weight is pushing on my insanely sore muscles.
In fact, right now I’m having such a hard time walking because of the (what felt like) millions of jump squats her workout called for me to do the other day. Somedays Brett and his friends will even join me and they huff and puff just as much as I do during the workout. While those descriptions might scare you away from checking her out, just remember that the workouts are only 28 minutes long! All the HIIT workouts are all broken up into four 7 minute circuits, which makes the entire workout so manageable. Baby steps.
So, why am I telling you all this? Well, because I seem to tell you guys every random thought I have AND I like to share with you things that I love and work well for me. If you’re in a workout rut, check out Kayla’s workouts.
After just 30 minutes you too can have jelly legs.
But, we all know that while we’re working out we like to think about what we’re gonna EAT! Or is that just me? Either way, let me introduce you to Vegan Pink Pasta Sauce. This sauce is the perfect blend of sweet marinara sauce and rich, creamy white sauce. It comes together in about 20 minutes, is oil-free and made perfectly thick and creamy from blended cashews.
Come to mama!
I hope you all give this recipe a try. If you do, leave me a comment letting me know your thoughts. Or even better take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram so I can see your creation!
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 can diced tomatoes (or 2 large/3 medium chopped)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- ¾ teaspoon sugar*
- Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
- ¾ cup cashew cream (see below)
- CASHEW CREAM:
- ¾ cup cashews, soaked
- 1 cup water
- TO SERVE:
- Cooked pasta
- Nutritional yeast flakes
- Fresh parsley
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in water until the onion is transparent.
- To the onion add in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasonings, sugar, salt, pepper and and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 5-10 minutes until tomatoes cook down.
- While your tomatoes are cooking, drain and rinse your soaked cashews and prepare your cashew cream by blending the cashews with 1 cup of water. Pour into a separate cup and rinse out your blender.
- Pour the tomato mixture into your rinsed out blender and blend until fairly smooth.
- Pour to tomato sauce back into your saucepan pot and pour in ¾ cup cashew cream.
- Heat the sauce back up and taste and adjust seasonings.
- Pour the sauce over cooked pasta, garnish and serve.