I’ve been wanting to share this recipe with you all for weeks! I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve made these Whole Wheat Vegan Banana Pancakes since moving to NYC. Anytime we have a group over for brunch, which seems to be often, these pancakes are my go-to recipe. They’re subtly sweet, hearty and speckled with banana pieces. Everyone I’ve served them to has loved them.
In fact, these pancakes have even shown one of my friends that eating a plant-based/vegan diet doesn’t mean eating cardboard and gerbil food. My friend Josh was so shocked that these were vegan and couldn’t stop marveling at how good they were, especially being egg and dairy free. He even asked me to teach him how to make them so that he could make them for his family over Christmas. Guys…my friend Josh rarely cooks. So the fact that he wanted me to show him how to make these pancakes is saying quite a lot. And I must add that when he made these, they turned out amazing as always.
Another thing I love about these pancakes is that they go well with so many toppings. Brett and I eat them with peanut butter most of the time, but I’ve also made a homemade strawberry syrup that goes perfectly with these. Of course, chocolate chips and blueberries have found their way into the batter with rave reviews.
If you’re looking for a healthy, easy pancake recipe that will please your guest, these are the pancakes for you! You can easily reheat or freeze the leftovers, making for an quick weekday breakfast. Sometimes I’ll even double the recipe when I’m making them just for that purpose. Brett loves being able to pop frozen pancakes in the toaster throughout the week for a more filling breakfast.
I hope you guys try these out. I’d love to know what you think!
Tell me: What is your favorite pancake topping? What’s a fun memory you have involving pancakes?
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 3/4 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- Prepare your flax eggs by whisking 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside to gel.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add in the wet ingredients: maple syrup, flax eggs, milk and coconut oil. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in the mashed bananas.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-low heat. Pour 1/3 cup of batter onto the heated griddle and spread it out to form a pancake shape (the batter will be thick). Let the pancake cook until golden brown and then flip it over and cook the other side until golden brown and cooked through. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
- Serve the pancakes warm with maple syrup.
- Store leftover pancakes in a zip-lock bag in the fridge or freeze until later.