Home, sweet home!
Brett and I just got back from two weeks of traveling in India and Nepal. It was a wonderful trip, but I’m always antsy to get home and back into my normal routine. I sadly didn’t take my DSLR so I don’t have any pictures to share with you all, but I do have a Indian inspired recipe to share today!
This month’s Recipe Redux challenge is a fun and unique one:
It’s the end of the year and we’re taking a moment to reflect – The Recipe ReDux has been around for 54 months! To celebrate, we’re playing a little party game this month: Grab your nearest cookbook and ReDux the recipe on page 54 or 154. We can’t wait to see the books you’re cooking from these days.
Thank goodness I brought one cookbook with me when we moved to China or else this challenge would have been difficult. I choose to revamp the Fork’s Over Knives recipe on page 154, which was a curry noodle dish. The sauce was made by boiling cauliflower and blending it with curry powder. I decided to omit the noodles altogether and make a delicious and creamy Vegan Cauliflower Curry Soup. Here in China, there aren’t any heaters installed in all the apartments so it get’s quite chilly in the wintertime. We finally caved and purchased a space heater, but we using other means to keep us warm too, like soup eating!
This Vegan Cauliflower Curry Soup is super simple to prepare. You just throw everything into a pot, boil the vegetables until tender, and then blend everything up with some salt, pepper and curry powder. Done and done! I’ve really grown to love simple, whole food recipes, and I feel like my meals are getting simpler and simpler every month. Especially after traveling overseas where I’m often served oily (albeit delicious) food, I’m always excited to get back to my whole food, oil-free diet. This Vegan Cauliflower Curry Soup definitely helped my body feel back to normal!
I hope you can give this Vegan Cauliflower Curry Soup a shot! It’s the perfect meal to warm you up on a cold, winter day. If you try out this recipe, leave a comment or take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram! I always love seeing your creations!
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 small potatoes (250 grams), peeled and chopped
- 2 leeks, white part only
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk*
- 2 cups water, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all of the ingredients, except for the salt, pepper and curry powder, into a sauce pan and bring the liquid up to a boil. Simmer until the cauliflower and potato are fork tender.
- With an immersion blender (or carefully in a blender while allowing the steam to escape), puree everything until smooth and creamy.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of curry powder and a big pinch of both salt and pepper. Blend again, taste, and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with chopped leek and red pepper flakes if desire.