I’m definitely your typical 20-something American girl, because jumbo muffins make me so happy…even more so when they’re paired with a warm, frothy drink. I guess they just remind me of times in the past when I’ve been able to relax at a cute coffee shop, either reading a book for fun or enjoying conversation with a close friend. I actually really miss moments like that since moving to China. They are few and far between and usually only happen when we travel to a more Western country or when I’m visiting family in the states.
If only our small city here in China had a vegan bakery which offered soy milk lattes!
That would be the dream.
Honestly, not having access to simple things like cute coffee shops or vegan baked goods has annoyed me at times. But I’ve decided that instead of whining about it, I should just try to foster that same kind of atmosphere in my own home.
Enter in: Oil-Free Vegan Double Chocolate Jumbo Muffins!
Okay, I know it’s a mouth-full, but these massive, chocolatey, moist muffins make me so happy. I had been wanting jumbo muffin pans for a while and finally found some when we last went to Tokyo. They make baking so fun! I make muffins all the time, but there is something about a jumbo muffin that is such a special treat.
And really, who doesn’t like eating muffins the size of their face?
The first time I made the recipe for these Oil-Free Vegan Double Chocolate Jumbo Muffins was right before our last trip to Thailand. We brought them with us in our backpacks and thoroughly enjoyed them for breakfast while relaxing in our hotel robes in bed. They taste amazing right out of the oven while still warm and the chocolate is all melted, but I also love them cold eaten with a fork like cake.
I used pumpkin puree instead of oil to give these muffins moistness and you really can’t taste any pumpkin in them. I also used whole wheat flour to add some whole grains and fiber and to keep me fuller for longer. Brett eats these as a snack and we both love them for a special breakfast!
Please let me know if you give these Oil-Free Vegan Double Chocolate Jumbo Muffins a try! I’d love to know what you thought of them. Even better, take a photo of the finished product and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creation!
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seed + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup mini dairy free chocolate chips*
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and grease 5 jumbo muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside until thickened.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, sugar and vanilla extract. Add in the thickened flax eggs and mix again.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, from the baking powder to the mini chocolate chips, and mix until the dough just comes together, being careful not to over-mix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 5 prepared jumbo muffin cups and sprinkle the tops with more chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake the muffins for about 24-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes before removing them from the pan and serving.
The batter can be baked in a regular-sized muffin pan if you don't have a jumbo muffin pan. You just need to reduce the baking time down to about 20 minutes or so.