It seems like forever since I've posted a recipe! We've had family in town and therefore have been eating out a lot. I'm one of those rare people that doesn't really like eating out (I know...who am I?!) I love being able to prepare my own food and eat plant-based, lower-fat meals, which is sometimes hard to do when eating out. It's been so fun being back in the kitchen and I've been experimenting a lot with raw recipes. Lots of smoothies, banana ice cream and colorful salads have been consumed lately and I'm feeling so energetic and fresh! Mmmm...love me some fruits and veggies!
This recipe isn't raw, but it's delicious. I actually tried out a different carrot recipe a couple weeks ago, but over peppered it so couldn't share it with you all. Sad day. This Spicy Thai Carrot Soup is delicious though and so unique! My mom actually sent me a version of this recipe and told me I should veganize it. Yes please!! It's one of my favorite things when people give me recipe suggestions or want me to healthify/veganize recipes.
Let me know if you have any recipes you'd like to see on blog and I'd love to make them!
Like I said, this recipe is so unique and flavorful! Sweet carrots provide the base of this soup and then you've got the creamy coconut milk that helps to balance out the spice from the sriracha. This soup comes together so easily too. All you need is a large pot and a blender and voila! You've got soup!! Okay, okay. Maybe it takes a little more than "voila" to make soup, but you get the picture.
Sweetened from carrots, made creamy from coconut milk, and perfectly spiced from Sriracha, this Spicy Thai Carrot Soup packs a punch of flavor!
- 2 small onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups water (plus more to thin)
- ½-1 cup full fat coconut milk*
- 1.5-2 tablespoon thai style chili sauce**
- Add a little bit of water or non-stick cooking spray to a large pot and add in the chopped onion, carrots and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, 1 ½ cup water, coconut milk and sriracha. Bring everything to a boil then reduce the heat to low and allow the vegetables to cook until soft and liquid to reduce a little, about 30 minutes.
- Let the soup cool slightly, then puree in a blender until smooth. Reheat the soup in a pot, adding water if you want a thinner soup and more salt and pepper to taste if necessary. Serve warm with cilantro and more hot sauce.
*I made this soup using ½ cup of full-fat coconut milk and we liked it a lot! If you want a richer, more coconut-y flavor, then add in 1 cup. You could also use lite coconut milk, but it will be more watery.
**I used Sriracha for my thay style chili sauce. Start with 1 tablespoon of chili sauce and increase until your desired spiciness.
Leftovers can be frozen or stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for a few days.
Amount Per Serving Calories 113Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 499mgCarbohydrates 14gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 4gSugar 6gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 2g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.