Made with hearty vegetables and creamy tahini, this Vegan Cauliflower Tahini Soup is a comforting, filling dish!
I don't know if any of you have ever studied Chinese before, but it's HARD! Even after 2 years of full on language learning, Brett and I still encounter words we don't know or people we can't understand on a daily basis. While we're learning standard Chinese, there are so many different dialects and accents throughout the country--and even in our small city--which can turn simple errands into nightmares if you can't communicate with other people.
That's why, we always like to celebrate little wins. For example, we just had an internet guy come to our house to look at our cords and router. Our internet randomly stopped worked and we couldn't figure out why. The time the technician was able to come happened to be while Brett was in class, so I would be the one talking with the technician in Chinese about routers and cables and things I rarely know much about, even when using English. Thankfully the experience went really well! I was overall able to understand him and if he said a word I wasn't familiar with, I used Pleco (a Chinese/English dictionary app) to look up the word. I learned words like router, broadband and debugging.
When we first started learning Chinese, all the sounds and words were so foreign to us that we didn't even know how to separate words in a sentence, let alone know what to search in a dictionary if we heard a word we didn't understand. So while it's crazy to me that even after 2 years of studying Chinese full time, I had still never learned the word router, I was still encouraged to know that I could get by with my current language level and a dictionary.
I'll call it a win!
I'll also call this Vegan Cauliflower Tahini Soup a win (okay, super lame segue but true!) I love adding different nuts and nut butters to my veggie soups. They add so much creaminess and depth of flavor. Cashews and tahini are two of my favorite nut butters to add to savory foods. They also make for great dressings and sauces. Adding some tahini to this veggie-filled, simple cauliflower soup makes it so much creamier and filling.
I hope you give this simple Vegan Cauliflower Tahini Soup a try! Please let me know if you do by leaving a comment down below or by taking a picture of the finished product and tagging #theconscientiouseater on Instagram!
Vegan Cauliflower Tahini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks white part only, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 carrots chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- ½-1 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, sauté the leek and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- Add in the chopped bell pepper, carrot, and celery and season everything with salt, pepper and dried thyme. Sauté the vegetables until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add in the chopped cauliflower and vegetable broth and bring everything to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce everything to a simmer and allow the cauliflower to cook for about 10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Return the blended soup to the pot and taste, adding more seasonings if needed.
- Serve warm