Made with zesty lemon and creamy yogurt, these Vegan Whole Wheat Lemon Yogurt Pancakes are a delicious, hearty to start to any morning!
This recipe is also in my Plant Based Breakfast Ideas for 2022 roundup post!
You know what I'm super excited about, other than these Vegan Whole Wheat Lemon Yogurt Pancakes?
In less than 2 weeks my entire family will be together! I mean my parents, all four siblings, our spouses and all our kiddos. I...can't...wait! Plus, only my sister Ruth has met Harper so I'm really excited for the rest of the family to meet her too.
It's been over 2 years since my entire family was together, and I honestly can't remember when or where that was. It seems like when most of us can get together, one sibling or our parents aren't able to make it, so the fact that everyone will be present is pretty amazing. It's also amazing considering Brett and I live in China and my parents live in Ireland.
Since my parents sold the house I grew up in and moved to Ireland over three years ago, my brother Seth and his wife's house has become our gathering place when we're all in Virginia. I'm so thankful for their hospitality! They are always willing to house as many of us as they can, letting us overflow into their family room, etc. and they are the greatest hosts. Being at their house is so relaxing and we always eat the best food. My brother and his wife love to cook and experiment together in the kitchen so we always eat well when we're at their house. They also love to eat ethnic food just as much as Brett and I, so we're often ordering Vietnamese pho and bahn mi take out.
One thing my brother does every Saturday is make pancakes for the family...lemon yogurt pancakes at that. He generously gave me the recipe--which of course he's memorized--and I was able to easily make a vegan version using soy yogurt and a flax egg. I also opted to use whole wheat flour, because I love the heartiness it gives baked goods and breakfast foods.
The batter for these Vegan Whole Wheat Lemon Yogurt Pancakes took me no time to whip up and they turned out so fluffy and soft. They have the subtlest tinge of lemon and pair perfectly with fresh fruit and maple syrup. Brett, his dad and I thoroughly enjoyed these pancakes this past week and the leftovers made for quick and easy breakfasts as well. You can just re-toast the leftover pancakes in a toaster oven or microwave them until warm and steamy! YUM!
I'd love to know if you give these Vegan Whole Wheat Lemon Yogurt Pancakes a try and what you think! Leave a comment down below or take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram so I can see your creation!
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Scant ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup non-dairy yogurt
- zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½-1 lemon
- In a small dish, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water to form a flax egg. Set the dish aside and allow the mixture to thicken.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, from the whole wheat flour to the salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, yogurt, lemon zest, thickened flax egg and lemon juice. Use the juice of 1 whole lemon if you want a more potent lemon flavor.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Use cooking spray or coconut oil or coat the pan and then pour ¼ cup of pancake batter on the the skillet at a time, spreading out the batter with the back of the measuring cup to form a flat circle. Once the edges of the pancakes start to form bubbles, flip the pancakes over and allow them to cook for another minute or two on the other side. Continue this process until all the batter has been used.
- Serve the pancakes warm with maple syrup, fresh fruit and whatever toppings you desire!