These Vegan Orange Chocolate Chip Scones.
They’re definitely the best scones, at least in my opinion, that I’ve ever shared on my blog. I’ve always loved the combination of chocolate and orange together, but I haven’t really eaten this flavor combination since the last time I ate a chocolate orange, and that was definitely a long time ago. Do you guys know what I’m talking about? Those chocolates that came in the shape of an orange with wedges that you could pull apart? I’m not sure why I thought of this flavor combination and decided to make it into a scone recipe, but I am so very glad I did.
I made these scones this past weekend to take to an Easter brunch and I didn’t mention that they were orange flavored to people, but my friends guessed it right away, which made me very happy. I didn’t want the orange flavor to be too overpowering, but the zest infused into the dough and the orange juice in the glaze was just the perfect amount of citrus. Then when you add in chocolate chips, you get one delicious, unique scone.
Speaking of Easter, how was your Easter weekend? Brett was out of town which left me home alone, but I was thankfully able to have so many fun social engagements to keep me occupied. By the end of the weekend, I just felt so thankful to have close friends here in our city who feel like family and who make being far away from family on holidays not as hard. On Sunday I spent most of the day at one of my friends house. A lot of people were there, including so many cute kids. We all ate brunch together before having an Easter service and then ate our Easter meal together before watching the kids do an Easter egg hunt. I loved spending time with people in all walks of life and socializing over meals. It was just a perfect day.
I really hope you give these Vegan Orange Chocolate Chip Scones a try. I’ll definitely be making quite a few batches of these in the near future. Please let me know if you give this recipe a try. Leave a comment down below or even better, take a picture of your creation and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram!
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 cups flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon grated orange peel
- ½ cup chilled coconut oil
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Orange Glaze:
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the non-dairy milk and orange juice and set it aside
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and orange zest. Add in the chilled coconut oil and using a fork, cut the oil into the flour mixture until a coarse meal forms.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Gradually add the orange juice and milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until a moist dough forms. Add more non-dairy milk if necessary to get all the flour to combine into the dough.
- Pour the dough out onto lightly floured work surface and knead the dough briefly.
- Form the dough into 1-inch-thick round. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and then carefully pull the wedges apart and place them on your prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake the scones until the tops of the scones are slightly golden brown, about 18-20 minutes.
- Remove the scones from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the orange glaze.
- To make the orange glaze, whisk together the ¾ cup of powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of orange juice. Continue adding orange juice 1 teaspoon at a time until you get a thick, yet spreadable consistency.
- Cover the top of each scone with the orange glaze until all the glaze has been used up.
- Serve immediately.
These scones taste the best when eaten right after baking, but can be stored in an airtight container and enjoyed 1-2 days later.