Made with warming spices and vibrant pistachios, these Vegan Cardamom Scones with Pistachios will wow your friends and family!
Scones are my absolute favorite baked good.
And that probably comes as no surprise considering the amount of vegan scone recipes I have on the blog.
Some of my personal favorite scone recipes are these Vegan Rosemary Chocolate Chunk Scones, these Vegan Lemon Scones and of course, today's recipe for Vegan Cardamom Scones with Pistachios!
If you love chai or chai spiced baked goods, you will love these scones.
They're not too sweet and have a delicious warming flavor thanks to spices such as cardamom, cloves and ginger.
Let me walk you through how to make them!
Ingredients You'll Need for Vegan Cardamom Scones
The base of this recipe is pretty basic, but it's the spices that elevate it to another level!
I'll list out all of the ingredients you'll need below:
- Cane sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Ground cardamom
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Ground cloves
- Coconut oil
- Non-dairy milk
I love to glaze these scones with a simple, spiced icing sugar glaze. If you want to follow suit, you'll also need some icing sugar plus some more of the spices you used in the scones and a dash of non-dairy milk!
How to Make Cardamom Scones without Dairy or Eggs
The base of my vegan scone recipes is mostly the same.
None of my recipes call of milk, butter or eggs, but they taste just as delicious as traditional scones!
To make scones without any dairy or eggs, simply:
- Use solid coconut oil instead of butter
- Use non-dairy milk or coconut cream instead of cow's milk or cream
- Omit chicken eggs and use a flax egg or another method!
It's really as simple as that and no one will ever know they're vegan!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Homemade Scones
To make these Vegan Cardamom Scones with Pistachios, follow these step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set it aside.
Step 2: If your coconut oil isn't solid, place ½ cup of liquid coconut oil into a plastic bowl and place it in the freezer to chill.
Step 3: Chop up ½ cup of pistachios. Place all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
Step 4: Chop up the solid coconut oil and then cut it into the dry ingredients, either using a fork or your hands, until a sandy mixture forms.
Step 5: Add the chopped pistachios and non-dairy milk to the dry ingredients and stir until a soft dough forms. If it's too wet, add a touch more flour. If it's too dry, add a touch more milk.
Step 6: Dust your lined baking sheet with a little flour and then press the dough into a circle about 1 inch thick on your lined baking sheet.
Step 7: Cut the circle into 8 triangles, pull the triangles apart and spread them out on the baking sheet.
Step 8: Bake the scones for 18-20 minutes or until risen and golden brown on top.
Step 9: While the scones cool, prepare the icing sugar glaze. Then drizzle the glaze over each scone and top them with some extra chopped pistachios.
How to Make a Simple Icing Sugar Glaze
Even though it adds some extra sugar, I love to glaze my scones with a simple icing sugar glaze.
It couldn't be easier to make!
To make a glaze using icing sugar:
- Place 1 cup of icing sugar into a bowl
- Add in any spices or flavorings you desire (cinnamon, vanilla extract, etc.)
- Add non-dairy milk 1-2 teaspoons at a time, whisking after each addition, until a smooth, pourable glaze forms
- Drizzle the glaze over your scone as desired!
More Vegan Scone Recipes
Like I mentioned at the beginning of this post, we LOVE scones and I've shared a number of different vegan scone recipes on the blog.
I'll list out some more vegan scone recipe below so that after you give these vegan cardamom scones a try, you can move on to some other delicious scone recipes!
- Vegan Rosemary Chocolate Chunk Scones
- Starbucks Copycat Vegan Pumpkin Scones
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Scones
- Easy Vegan Lemon Scones
- Vegan Orange Chocolate Chip Scones
- Vegan Strawberries and Cream Scones
- Vegan Blueberry Corn Scones
How to Store Leftover Scones
A batch of scones never lasts long in our house, but we usually have a few scones leftover.
To store leftover scones, simply place them in an airtight container on the counter for 1-2 days.
Alternatively, to make them last longer, you can store them in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Enjoy them cold or reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds!
How Long Do Homemade Scones Last?
Homemade scones should last 1-2 days in an airtight container on the counter or you can store them for 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge!
Vegan Cardamom Scones with Pistachios
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch cloves
- ½ cup coconut oil solid
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup pistachios chopped
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add in the chilled coconut oil and, using a fork, pastry cutter or your hands, cut the coconut oil into the flour mixture until a coarse meal forms, similar to wet sand.
- Add in the chopped pistachios (leaving some aside for decoration) and the non-dairy milk and stir until a moist dough forms. If the dough is too dry, add in a touch more non-dairy milk. If it's too wet, add in a small handful of flour until your dough isn't sticky, but holds together.
- Lightly flour your silicone lined baking tray and pour the dough out onto it, kneading the dough briefly.
- Form the dough into a 1-inch-thick round. Cut it into 8 triangles and carefully pull them apart so that each wedge is about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the scones for 18-20 minutes or until puffy and golden brown on the top and underneath.
- While the scones are baking, prepare the glaze. In a bowl, combine the icing sugar and spices. Add in non-dairy milk 1-2 teaspoons at a time, whisking in between each addition, until a thick, but pourable glaze forms.
- Once baked, allow the scones for cool for a few minutes. Then glaze them with the spiced icing sugar glaze and sprinkle on some extra chopped pistachios.
Please Leave A Star Review In The Recipe Card!