Full of protein and fiber and sweetened naturally with fruit and a touch of maple syrup, these Healthy Chocolate Chickpea Flour Pancakes will have you dreaming of breakfast as you fall asleep at night!
I think Harper (my 20 month-old daughter) is really a teenage boy trapped in a little girl's body. The girl sleeps 14 hours a night people...AND still naps! Brett and I usually have until 10 AM to get things done before she wakes up. I love the mornings and being productive, so I'm loving this season. I even have time to make us a warm breakfast if I want, which is usually cold by the time Harper wakes up. We've been loving these chocolate chickpea flour pancakes lately and a batch lasts us about a week. I simply store them in the fridge and we reheat them in the microwave or toaster. Brett and I top ours with nut butter, granola and banana and I usually make little peanut butter chocolate "sandwiches" for Harper.
Healthy Chocolate Pancakes
While it seems indulgent to have chocolate for breakfast, these pancakes are secretly healthy. They're sweetened naturally with ripe banana and maple syrup. Then cocoa powder provides lots of rich, chocolate flavor that is perfect for this chocolate-lovin'-mama. For a chocoholic who also loves to eat healthfully, these pancakes are a dream come true.
Gluten Free Vegan Pancakes
Oh, and did I mention that these pancakes are both vegan AND gluten free? Instead of using eggs like in traditional pancakes, mashed banana holds everything together. Then baking soda reacts with apple cider vinegar to create a wonderfully fluffy result. And for extra fluff, I also included a touch of baking powder which reacts with the heat of the skillet. As for being gluten free, these pancakes are made completely with chickpea flour which is a naturally gluten free flour. Chickpea flour also happens to be full of protein and fiber, making it a great addition to your pantry. I've been raving about it in a few of my previous posts, so I hope you've had a chance to pick some up at the store and experiment with it!
I'd love to know if you give these chocolate chickpea flour pancakes a try! Really guys, you need to jump on the chickpea flour bandwagon with me because it's a delicious ride! If you give these pancakes a try, please let me know your thoughts in the comments below. If you enjoyed them as much as we do, please leave a five star rating, share them with your friends and family and post a photo tagging me on Instagram so I can see! Below is a video showing how to make them step-by-step, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss a recipe video!
Healthy Chocolate Chickpea Flour Pancakes
- PREP: Start by warming the cup of milk in the microwave for a few seconds until room temperature. This will keep the coconut oil from turning solid when added to the wet ingredients.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth and no large lumps remain.
- COOK: Cook the pancakes on a non-stick skillet over medium heat. I use a ⅓ cup measurer (not completely full) to scoop up the batter and pour it on the skillet. Allow bubbles to form around the edges before flipping. You'll know the pancakes are ready to flip when it's easy to slide a spatula underneath. If it gets stuck, allow the pancakes to cook a little longer. Continue this process until all the batter has been used.
- SERVE: Serve the pancakes with nut butter, fruit, granola, maple syrup, etc.
- STORE: Store any leftovers in the fridge for a few days or freeze for later!