I never thought I’d write the word “lactation” in a blog post, but I guess when you become a breast feeding mama, things change!
I have to start this post by saying that I am not a scientist or nutritionist who has studied lactation and what helps promote good milk production. Duh. I am just your average mom googling what foods help promote milk production and putting those foods into one handy, grab-and-go granola bar…Homemade Vegan Lactation Bars at that!
I will also say that these bars might not be for everyone, especially if tahini isn’t your thing. I happen to love tahini…and oats…and apricots…and flaxseeds…so these Homemade Vegan Lactation Bars would be right up my alley whether I cared about breast milk production or not.
Thankfully I haven’t had an issue with production and Harper is growing like a weed, but I love having these bars on hand just in case. But then again, maybe these bars are the reason I’m not having issues?! Or maybe its the massive bowls of oatmeal with flaxseed that I eat every morning. Or both!
Whether your a breast feeding mama or not, these Homemade Vegan Lactation Bars are a sweet and hearty snack for anytime of day. If your not currently breast feeding, you can easily make some easy swaps to tailor these granola bars to suit your tastes. If you don’t like tahini, use peanut butter. If dried apricots aren’t your thing, use raisins. If you don’t have or care about brewer’s yeast, add in extra oats. Get creative and use this recipe as a base for some yummy, tailored-to-you bars!
If you end up making these Homemade Vegan Lactation Bars, please let me know! Leave a comment or take a photo and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram so I can see your creation. I’d also love to know if any of you mamas out there have had success with certain foods or have any other knowledge regarding breast feeding that you’d like to share.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup ground flaxseed
- ¾ cup chopped dried apricots
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons brewer’s yeast
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup tahini
- ¾ cup sticky liquid sweetener (brown rice syrup, honey if not vegan)
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients, from the oats to the salt.
- Add in the tahini and sweetener and mix until a uniform, sticky dough forms.
- Press the dough into a parchment paper-lined 9x13 inch pan until compact and evenly flat.
- Place the pan in the fridge for about an hour before removing the bars and cutting them into whatever shape you desire.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.