I know chickpea cookie dough is an old concept, but for some reason I had a hankering for some recently. But not just any chickpea cookie dough. I wanted simple, fruit sweetened chickpea cookie dough. I wanted something sweet that I could dip my apples or pretzels into, but that wouldn’t leave me with a sugar rush or stomach ache if I ate a hearty serving.
Y’all know I’m a volume eater. I don’t do small portions. I’m all about serving bowl sized salads, voluminous bowls of morning oats and baked sweet potatoes the size of my face. The combination of flavors I love and large portions is what satisfies me…oh and healthy fats of course (ahem, nut butter). That’s exactly why I wanted to create a cookie dough that was made with ingredients I’d be fine eating a large volume of in one sitting…if I so desired.
That’s exactly what this 5 Ingredient Date Sweetened Chickpea Cookie Dough is…delicious, sweet nutrition that can be scooped up with apple slices, smeared onto banana coins or eaten straight off of the spoon.
This 5 Ingredient Date Sweetened Chickpea Cookie Dough is also something I’d happily give to Harper once she gets a little bit older. I’m actually amazed at how excited I am to start feeing her solids. I’m fully aware that it could be a disaster and I may find myself with the pickiest of eaters, but I’m excited to have her try so many of the whole plant foods that I love and enjoy on a daily basis.
I’m also excited for you to try this simple 5 ingredient recipe! I would love to know if you give this 5 Ingredient Date Sweetened Chickpea Cookie Dough a try and what you think! Even better I’d love to know if you serve it to your kids and whether they like it or now. Leave a comment down below and rate the recipe. Take a photo and tag @theconscientiouseater on Instagram and share this recipe with others!
Help The World Eat More Plants!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and skins removed
- 1 cup packed, pitted dates
- ⅓ cup peanut butter*
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- (optional) dairy free chocolate chips
- Place the 1 cup of dates in a bowl and cover them with boiling water to soak and soften.
- While the dates are soaking, drain and rinse the canned chickpeas and, if you have time, remove the skin of the chickpeas. This produces a smoother cookie dough.
- After about 10 minutes, drain the boiling water from the bowl of dates. Place the dates into a food processor (or a high speed blender) and process for a minute or so until they start to break down and form a paste.
- Then add in the remaining ingredients (excluding the chocolate chips if using) and process until a smooth dough forms. This will take a while you will probably have to stop your food processor to scrap down the sides of the bowl.
- Once the dough is smooth add in some dairy free chocolate chips if desired.
- Serve with sweet crackers, pretzels, apple and banana slices or smeared on toast!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days.
Don’t forget to leave a comment and rate the recipe down below!