Jazz up your toast and expand your creativity with these Creative Vegan Toast Ideas!
For all of you breakfast and brunch fans out there, check out my Plant Based Breakfast Ideas roundup.
- Is Toast Healthy?
- How to Make Healthy Toast
- My Favorite Bread for Toast
- Best Vegan Spreads for Toast
- Best Vegan Protein Sources for Toast
- Best Vegan Toast Garnishes
- 9 Creative Plant-Based Toast Ideas
- Love toast?
- More Basic Bread Recipes
- 📖 Recipe
- Plant-Based Toast Recipes
- More Healthy Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes
Toast is a meal I eat every week, if not every day.
I think it's such an underrated food and I'm here to prove that toast is not only delicious and exciting, but also nutritious!
It's so easy to get creative and change up your toast so that you never get bored.
Switch up the kinds of bread, spreads, toppings and garnishes you use and you'll never get bored of toast!
Let me share with you my creative plant-based toast ideas, tips and tricks!
I'm sure that after you read this post, you'll want to go whip up a loaded piece (or two...or three!) of plant-based toast
Is Toast Healthy?
Bread has been around for ages.
However, over the years, as we've gone from making our own homemade bread at home to purchasing more store-bought, processed bread, bread has gotten a bad rap for being unhealthy.
I, however, personally think that bread can be a part of a healthy diet!
If I have to purchase store-bought bread I make sure to pay attention to the ingredients list.
The shorter the list the better!
I also like to buy bread that is made with whole or sprouted grains instead of processed white flour.
Making simple changes to the kinds of bread you purchase will allow you to whip up healthy, toast creations that leave you feeling happy and nourished.
How to Make Healthy Toast
Whenever I'm making toast for a meal (which is fairly often), I like to make sure I'm including a protein, carb, fat and, if possible, a veggie and or fruit for micronutrients.
Often times the veggies and fruit are on the side, but adding them to my toast leaves me feeling nourished and satisfied.
When it comes to the carb, the toast is the obvious carb provider.
Then the spread often provides the fat in the meal.
Lastly, some kind of plant-based protein on top of your toast provides staying power to leave you full and satisfied for ages.
My Favorite Bread for Toast
The kind of bread you use to make your plant-based toast is really up to personal preference.
I personally love to use whole grain breads, either homemade or store-bought, as they have more fiber and protein than processed white breads.
However, some crusty, white sourdough never disappoints either!
Best Vegan Spreads for Toast
Where to begin?!
There are so many vegan options for spreads that you can use on toast to keep things fun and exciting.
Below I'll list out some of my favorite spreads to use on toast. I'd love to hear some of your favorite toast spreads in the comments below as well!
- Mashed avocado (duh!)
- Lemon Avocado Chickpea Mash
- Nut/seed butters (think Homemade Peanut Butter, Homemade Vegan Nutella, Homemade Pecan Butter, Tahini, etc.)
- Classic Vegan Pesto
- Hummus (try out different flavors such as Curried Carrot White Bean Hummus, Vegan Chipotle Hummus, Beetroot Hummus, Oil-Free Edamame Hummus, and even Vegan Chocolate Hummus!)
- Gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- Vegan Butter
- Marmite (or Vegemite!)
- Vegan Chickpea "Tuna" Salad
- Buffalo Chickpea Salad
- Homemade Tapenade
- Easy Berry Compote
- Cheesy Vegan Black Bean Dip
- Date Sweetened Chickpea Cookie Dough
- Date Sweetened Chocolate Sauce
- Homemade Date Paste
- Vegan cream cheese
- Dairy Free Cinnamon Maple "Cream Cheese"
Okay, this list is getting super long and it's not even all of the spreads I can think of that would be perfect for toast!
Best Vegan Protein Sources for Toast
I highly recommend adding some form of plant-based protein to your toast creations.
Protein will help fill you up and keep you fuller for longer.
Below I'll list out some of my favorite vegan protein sources to put on top of my toast.
- Beans (try out these Crispy Oven Roasted Chickpeas for crunch!)
- Bean Salad (think Buffalo Chickpea Salad or Vegan Chickpea "Tuna" Salad)
- Tofu (I love using this Easy Marinated Tofu, store-bought smoked tofu, Vegan Taco Tofu Crumbles, or Almond Flour Baked Tofu Nuggets!)
- Tempeh (Tempeh Bacon is always a winner!)
- Plant-Based Faux Meat (such as seitan)
Best Vegan Toast Garnishes
When you're making creative vegan toast recipe ideas, don't just stop after adding a spread and protein source.
You need garnishes!
I love to sprinkle on one or two garnishes to take my vegan toast game to the next level.
I'll list out some favorites below:
- Fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, chives, etc.)
- Spices (red pepper flakes, cinnamon, nutritional yeast, garlic salt, flaky salt, freshly ground black pepper etc.)
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Pickled red onions
- Green onion
- Lemon or lime juice
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Crispy kale chips
- Granola (for sweet toast!)
- Cacao nibs
- Coconut flakes
- Chopped nuts and/or seeds (slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, ground flaxseed, etc.)
While garnishes may seem small, they can add a massive flavor punch so don't forget about them!
9 Creative Plant-Based Toast Ideas
Okay, now that we've talked through the basic building block for creative healthy, plant-based toast, let me share with you some of my favorite, unique toast ideas!
- Marmite Avocado Toast with Sautéed Mushrooms
- Almond Butter Toast with Sautéed Cinnamon Peaches
- Korean inspired toast with gochujang spread, smoked tofu, kimchi and toasted sesame seeds
- Nutella toast topped with sliced banana and granola
- Hummus toast topped with crispy chickpeas, kale chips and sundried tomatoes
- Classic PB&J toast made with Homamade Peanut Butter and Berry Compote
- Cashew butter toast topped with berries and granola
- Buffalo Chickpea Salad Toast topped with pickled onions and pumpkin seeds
- Avocado toast topped with tempeh bacon, tomatoes and garlic aioli
I could keep going when it comes to plant-based toast ideas, but I'll stop there! You can find a few more ideas in the recipe card below, but I promise you, you'll never run out of ideas!
Please let me know some of your favorite toast creations in the comments below!
If so, I have a hunch you will also like these...
More Basic Bread Recipes
Plant-Based Toast Recipes
Peanut Butter Banana and Granola Toast
Creamy Sweet Potato Toast
My Favorite Avocado Toast
- Start by toasting the bread either in a toaster on using the broiler setting on your oven.
- Spread each piece of toast with a different base layer, whether thats a nut butter, mashed avocado, or mashed sweet potato.
- Add the remaining toppings, sweeteners or spices to each piece of toast.
- Dig in!