This vegan spaghetti squash casserole with broccoli is a nutritious and delicious vegan spin on cheesy spaghetti and will leave you feeling full of energy!
I’ve made a lot of progress this week in my goal to cook with at least one new ingredient each week.After my half marathon, Brett and I stopped at the Winter Park Farmers Market and picked up a bunch of produce. In addition to our regular produce, we got bok choy, fennel and spaghetti squash – three veggies that I have yet to cook with before.
I sauteed the bok choy with some salt and pepper and put it inside a whole wheat wrap with sweet potato, black beans and tomato. It definitely reminds me of some Asian dishes I’ve had and made me want to try it again soon in a noodle soup or something like a Thai pineapple rice stir fry recipe.
For the fennel, I roasted the bulb with some potatoes and carrots and used the leaves and soft stems to make a lemon, fennel dressing. This dish turned out great! I’ll be sharing it soon.
Lastly, for the spaghetti squash I combined two recipes to make this cheesy dish. I know I’m way behind in using spaghetti squash, but it really was so easy and shredded just like spaghetti.
How To Bake Spaghetti Squash
To cook the spaghetti squash, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and cut your squash in half length-wise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
Place the halves face up on a baking dish and spray the halves with cooking spray.
Then stick it in the oven and roast for about 50 minutes until its tender enough to poke with a fork.
After it cools enough to touch, just take a fork and shred the squash horizontally until all the squash has been removed.
You can use it as a spaghetti substitute or have it act as rice for stir-fries or curries. Or even better…
You can make this awesome Vegan Cheesy Spaghetti Squash and Broccoli Casserole!
- · 1 large spaghetti squash, roasted and shredded
- · Two cups steamed broccoli
- · 3/4 cup green peas (optional)
- See the process shots above for how to roast and shred the spaghetti squash.
- For the cheese sauce, place all of the ingredients from water to tahini in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce in a large sauce pan and heat over medium-low heat. Allow the sauce to thicken while stirring occasionally. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Once the sauce begins to thicken, add in the spaghetti squash, broccoli and peas.
- Season with ground pepper and red chili flakes.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 107Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 408mgCarbohydrates 23gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 6gSugar 7gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 4g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.