Tangy, creamy and full of plant-based protein, this Chickpea "Tuna" Salad will quickly become your favorite sandwich filling!
I've always loved any kind of egg, chicken or tuna salad.
So after I switched to a plant-based diet I knew I needed to find a vegan version to satisfy my cravings whenever they hit.
I've shared this spicy Buffalo Chickpea Salad, but today I wanted to share a non-spicy, more classic version of vegan tuna salad.
Enter in: Vegan Chickpea "Tuna" Salad!
This chickpea salad is tangy, creamy and hearty thanks to lots of vinegar, lemon juice, tahini and chickpeas.
I love to pile this chickpea salad high on toasted bread with lettuce and tomato for a hearty, flavorful lunch.
This chickpea "tuna" salad also makes for a great dip for veggies or Homemade Whole Grain Sesame Crackers.
Meal prep a double batch at the beginning of the week and you'll have a delicious, flavor-packed salad ready whenever you need it!
Let me show you how to make it!
Ingredients You'll Need for Vegan Chickpea "Tuna" Salad
Other than a few veggies, this salad calls for mostly pantry staple ingredients.
I'll list out everything you'll need below:
- Lemon Juice
- Red Onion
- Salt and pepper
How to Replace Mayo in Tuna Salad
Obviously, tuna isn't vegan.
Neither is traditional mayo.
So to make a vegan version of tuna salad we're going to use chickpeas for the main protein source and tahini instead of mayo.
Tahini is a great substitute for mayo in vegan tuna salad as it adds the creamy factor that traditional mayo usually provides.
Then, in addition to the tahini, we'll be using vinegar and lemon juice to provide some tang!
How to Make Vegan Tuna Salad
To make Vegan Chickpea "Tuna" Salad, simply follow the step-by-step instructions below:
- Step 1: Place the chickpeas, tahini, vinegar and lemon juice into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until well combined, making sure to leave some texture in the chickpeas. Alternatively, if you don't have a food processor, you can use a fork to mash the chickpeas.
- Step 2: Pour the mashed chickpea mixture into a bowl and add in the celery, red onion, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until combined.
- Step 3: Taste the salad and add more salt if needed.
- Step 4: Pile the salad high on toasted bread with crispy lettuce and tomato or use it as a dip for veggies and/or crackers
How to Store Leftover Chickpea Salad
Thanks to the fresh lemon juice, vinegar and salt, this Vegan Chickpea "Tuna" Salad stores beautifully. Simply place any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. The leftovers should last for about a week.
How to Enjoy Vegan "Tuna" Salad
I've already shared a few ways I like to enjoy this chickpea salad, but I'll list out a few suggestions below!
- As a filling for sandwiches
- As a filling for wraps
- As a dip for crackers and/or veggies
- As the filling for lettuce wraps
- As the protein source for vegan mac & cheese
- On top of a bed of lettuce for a hearty salad
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ⅛ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the drained and rinsed chickpeas into a food processor along with the tahini, vinegar and lemon juice. Pulse until everything is well combined, but the chickpeas still have some texture.
- Pour the chickpea mixture into a large mixing bowl and add in the remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 299Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 0mgSodium 565mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 9gSugar 15gProtein 11g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.