This Chocolate Oat Milk is truly good for you. It's full of fiber, antioxidants and iron and contains no refined sugars so you can drink up!
The amount of chocolate milk I drank as a child is slightly alarming.
I loved milk, but even more so I loved chocolate milk.
Personally, I'm still obsessed with chocolate milk.
However, I now also love to make this healthy, homemade Chocolate Oat Milk!
I can whip up this chocolate oat milk in 5 minutes AND I get the assurance of knowing it's good for me!
Let me show you how to make it!
Ingredients You'll Need to Make Homemade Chocolate Oat Milk
Making chocolate oat milk at home requires just a handful of ingredients, many of which I'm sure you already have on hand!
I'll list out everything you need below:
- Rolled oats
- Cacao powder or cocoa powder
- Medjool dates (or other sweetener, such as maple syrup, coconut sugar, etc.)
- Cold water
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: vanilla extract
See! I bet you could whip up a batch right now!
How to Make Oat Milk
You don't have to soak any nuts, so it can be ready to enjoy in around 5 minutes.
To make homemade oat milk, simply follow the step-by-step instructions listed below:
- Step 1: Place all of the ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Step 2: Using a nut milk bag, or cheese cloth, strain the oat milk into a container or bowl. Squeeze out as much milk as possible through the nut milk bag.
- Step 3: Let the milk chill in the fridge before drinking.
- Step 4: Store the milk in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Shake well before enjoying!
Is Chocolate Milk Healthy?
Traditional chocolate milk (whether store bought, or homemade with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup) contains a lot of unnecessary ingredients.
However, this homemade chocolate milk is sweetened with whole foods (dates) instead of refined sugars. This will keep you from getting that unwanted sugar spike then crash.
Plus, this chocolate oat milk has fiber thanks to the oats and minerals such as iron and magnesium from the cacao powder.
It's loaded with antioxidants too! Holla!
How Long Does Oat Milk Last?
Since this homemade chocolate oat milk doesn't contain any strange additives or preservatives, it will only last for about 3 days in the fridge.
Store the milk in an airtight jar in the fridge. Shake it before drinking as the oats and water will separate over time!
Ways to Enjoy Chocolate Milk
I love to enjoy this homemade chocolate oat milk in a number of different ways, other than just drinking it!
You could pour it over cereal.
You could use it in smoothies
Use it in baked goods for a chocolatey taste.
Pour it over espresso for an iced mocha!
Get creative and enjoy!
- 3 cups filtered cold water
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 8 small dates or 4-5 pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, pinch sea salt
- Place all of the ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain the milk through a nut milk bag, or cheese cloth, into a container or bowl. Squeeze out as much milk as possible through the nut milk bag.
- Let the milk chill in the fridge before drinking.
- Store the milk in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 288Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 10mgCarbohydrates 33gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 3gSugar 28gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 1g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.