This warm and spicy dairy-free Indian Chai is a deliciously perfect beverage to warm you up during the cold winter months or any time of the year.
You had to guess that personally visiting India I would post some Indian recipes, right?
Honestly, my chai kick started even before our trip to India. I'm guessing it was because I was looking forward to all the delicious food we were going to eat!
But actually being in India made such a difference in how I now make a Indian Chai and how I enjoy it myself.
The woman we stayed with in India let me join her in the kitchen to see how she makes her chai. She grinds her spices up and adds them towards the end of the process, which was very interesting to me.
Alternatively, I love to boil my spices whole and then strain them. Boiling the spices for a while, leaves you with some beautifully spiced tea that tastes amazing with some dairy free milk and sweeter.
Whether it's the holidays or just a cold winter morning, a warm mug full of this dairy-free Indian Chai is simply delightful.
When you pair this cup of Chai with a delicious vegan cookie recipe, it makes a fun way to entertain guests or treat yourself.
If you try out this Dairy-Free Indian Chai recipe let me know! Leave a comment or tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram!
This warm and spicy authentic Dairy-Free Indian Chai, is the perfect beverage to warm you up this Holiday season.
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 10 whole cloves
- 4 black pepper corns
- 1 star anise
- 2 slices fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons loose leaf black tea
- 3 cups non-dairy milk
- about ¼ cups sweetener, or to taste
- In a sauce pan, combine the water and spices and bring it to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to a simmer, and allow the spices to infuse the water for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add in the black tea and allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Strain the water into another container and then pour it back into the pot.
- Add in the non-dairy milk and liquid sweetener or sugar to taste. The sweetness make this tea, so be generous! Bring the liquid back to a simmer, watching carefully so that it doesn't overflow.
- Pour into cups and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 150Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 15mgSodium 101mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 2gSugar 12gProtein 8g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.