I love chocolate. So much. I eat it in some form almost everyday and many times starting with breakfast. And I'm okay with that! Growing up my brother always said he hated chocolate and I just couldn't wrap my mind around that concept.
Hate chocolate? Is that even possible?
However, I will say this. The form of chocolate that I eat has definitely changed in the past few years. I used to be a sucker for Hersey's milk chocolate, chocolate sauce pumped full of HFCS, and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Oh, and peanut M&Ms. Those were my downfall. Now I really only eat chocolate if it's made with raw cacao powder and doesn't contain any weird additives. Basically, I can know in truth that the chocolate I eat really is good for me, because it's chalk full of antioxidants and not all that bad stuff.
Chocolate everyday...don't mind if I do!
One of my favorite ways to eat chocolate is when it's sweetened with ripe bananas. Often for breakfast I mash an overripe banana into my oatmeal and add some raw cacao powder and voila! Chocolate oatmeal for breakfast! Since chocolate and banana is a winning combination, I knew chocolate banana bread had to happen as soon as my oven arrive. Sure enough, this Double Chocolate Vegan Banana Bread was born.
Delicious warm or cold, sweetened with coconut sugar and bananas, and made with whole grain spelt flour, this Double Chocolate Vegan Banana Bread is healthy way to enjoy chocolate. I've been loving it in the mornings with some peanut butter on top for a quick, no fuss breakfast. At the end of the day, it's also a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth.
Oh, and if you see little red bits in bread in the pictures, just know I had some random goji berries in the chocolate I used. Whoops!
If you give this Double Chocolate Vegan Banana Bread a try, please don't be shy and let me know! Leave a comment with your thoughts or take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram so I can see your beautiful, chocolatey creation.
Double Chocolate Vegan Banana Bread
- 1 ⅔ cups spelt flour
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder*
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 flax eggs 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 ⅓ cup mashed banana
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F and grease a standard size loaf pan with cooking spray or coconut oil.
- In a small bowl prepare the flax eggs by whisking together 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the flax eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and mashed banana and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing. Enjoy!
Liv @ Healthy Liv says
Chocolate and banana really is a winning combo! I used to LOVE making dipping frozen banana halves (on popsicle sticks) into chocolate and rolling them in nuts or more chocolate chips and refreezing them. I also love double chocolate banana muffins. Your version looks like a great healthier alternative!
Ah, that's a great idea Liv! I wanna make some chocolate covered bananas so bad now!
Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl says
I am also a lover of dark chocolate and often do the same thing, using pure cocoa powder in my baked oatmeal for breakfast. This bread looks scrummy, I'll have to try a GF version soon!
If you do try a gluten-free version let me know how it goes!