This fluffy and moist Vegan Banana Bread Recipe is honestly the only banana bread recipe you'll ever need. It requires just 9 ingredients and one bowl to make. You'll be making a loaf every week!
If you look in my fridge at any point throughout the year, you'll probably find a loaf of vegan banana bread.
We love it that much!
Believe it or not, I have quite a few variations of vegan banana bread recipes on the blog. Two of my favorites are my Chickpea Flour Banana Bread and this Black Sesame Tahini Vegan Banana Bread.
However, when it comes to my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE banana bread recipe, it's the recipe I'm sharing with you today.
Today's vegan banana bread recipe results in the most fluffy and moist banana bread. It's a classic recipe that requires just 9 ingredients and one bowl to make.
It's my go-to recipe whenever I'm making a loaf of banana bread for a holiday breakfast or to serve to family and friends.
I really hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Ingredients for Classic Vegan Banana Bread
I'll admit, I've gone through seasons of trying to health-ify everything I baked. You know, using applesauce instead of oil or maple syrup instead of sugar.
Now, while I still enjoy doing that at times, when it comes to making the best loaf of vegan banana bread, you really need to stick to classing baking ingredients.
I'll list out everything you need to make the best vegan banana bread below:
- Bananas (super spotty and ripe!)
- Aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Flour (you can use white or whole wheat)
- Optional mix-ins: chocolate chips, walnuts, dried fruit, etc.
I love to make this recipe with Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour, but white flour or a mix of white and whole wheat works great!
What About Gluten-Free Flour?
So I have some sad news.
I tried testing this recipe using a gluten-free 1-to-1 flour and it did not work. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. For some reason, with vegan banana bread it just didn't turn out.
So I don't recommend substituting the flour in this recipe for gluten-free flour. Stick to either white or whole wheat flour!
Egg Substitutions for Vegan Banana Bread
A lot of vegan banana bread recipes (including some of mine!) call for flax eggs instead of actual chicken eggs.
However, in this recipe, I love to use aquafaba, which is simply the liquid from a can of chickpeas.
Aquafaba acts as a great binder in this banana bread. To use aquafaba as an egg replacement, I just use 3 tablespoons of aquafaba to replace one egg. So in this recipe you'll need 2 egg's worth of aquafaba, or 6 tablespoons of aquafaba.
How to Make Vegan Banana Bread
This banana bread recipe is so easy to make. You probably already have all the ingredients on hand. As for kitchen equipment to prepare the batter, you'll just need a large mixing bowl and a wooden spoon or whisk.
Below are the step-by-step instructions on how to make the BEST vegan banana bread.
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350F/175C and grease a standard loaf pan or line it with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, mash 4 super ripe bananas.
- Step 3: To the mashed bananas, add in the sugar, oil, aquafaba, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk well to combine.
- Step 4: Stir in the flour until just combined.
- Step 5: Lastly, fold in whatever mix-ins you desire. We love using chocolate chips!
- Step 6: Pour the batter into your greased or lined loaf pan and bake the bread for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Keep an eye on it starting at 50 minutes as every oven is different.
- Step 7: Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before carefully removing it and allowing it to cool completely on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy!
How to Store Vegan Banana Bread
This vegan banana bread probably won't last long, but if you have leftovers, you can easily store it for later.
- Fridge: Because we eat through a loaf of banana bread fairly quickly, we love to store ours in the fridge. To store banana bread in the fridge, simply place it in an air tight container or wrap it in plastic wrap before storing it in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
- Freezer: You can freeze slices or whole loaves of banana bread. To keep the banana bread from getting freezer burnt, allow it to cool completely before wrapping it whole or in slices in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Then place the wrapped portions in freezer-safe zip lock bags and freeze it for up to 4 months. To thaw, simply place it in the fridge overnight or until able to slice.
The BEST Vegan Banana Bread Recipe
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 cup cane sugar*
- ½ cup oil
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups flour white or whole wheat
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F and grease a standard loaf pan or line it with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash 4 super ripe bananas.
- To the mashed bananas, add in the sugar, oil, aquafaba, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk well to combine.
- Stir in the flour until just combined.
- Lastly, fold in whatever mix-ins you desire. We love using chocolate chips!
- Pour the batter into your greased or lined loaf pan and bake the bread for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Keep an eye on it starting at 50 minutes as every oven is different.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before carefully removing it and allowing it to cool completely on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy!
Excellent recipe. Thank you.
Faith VanderMolen says
I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
Thank you Faith, I've tried a few recipes on your blog and loved them. This cake is absolutely delicious. I used bananas from my garden - I'm lucky to live in the FWI- and added walnuts. The whole family loved it. I can't wait to try your other banana recipes, especially those with less oil. They look so tempting!!
Faith VanderMolen says
So glad you enjoyed the recipe Karine! Yes, definitely try out my other recipes. For a lower sugar and oil recipe, check out my chickpea flour vegan and gluten-free banana bread!
So good! I am not a banana bread fan but I had ripe bananas and wanted to try aquafaba in a recipe; I am so glad I found this recipe - banana bread for dinner! 😉
Faith VanderMolen says
So glad you liked it Lori! Thanks for sharing!