Full of melty, vegan cheese, protein-packed tofu ricotta and flavorful marinara sauce, this Vegan Baked Ziti is a family approved recipe! It takes about 25 minutes of hands-on time and then your oven does the rest of the work, making it the perfect meal for any night of the week!
These cooler, fall months have me craving all the hearty, comforting vegan pasta dishes!
Especially pasta dishes that are full of melty, vegan cheese and rich marinara sauce!
Seriously, who doesn't love a heaping bowl of pasta?
Just like my One-Pot Creamy Marinara Pasta recipe, this easy to prepare vegan baked ziti is a super simple recipe that you can throw together any night of the week.
The reason this baked ziti is so easy to make is because, other than some easy vegan tofu ricotta, all of the ingredients are store-bought. While I love to make my own marinara sauce, sometimes you just need to go the convenience route!
Below I'll walk you through how to make the vegan tofu ricotta.
How to Make Vegan Tofu Ricotta
For this recipe, you'll need to prepare some tofu ricotta.
Don't worry, it's really easy to make!
To make vegan tofu ricotta:
- Sauté onion and garlic in a little olive oil until the onion is translucent.
- Add the sautéed onion and garlic to a food processor and add in the remaining ingredients: firm tofu, nutritional yeast, miso paste, lemon juice, sea salt and frozen spinach, if desired.
- Process all of the ingredients together until a fairly smooth "ricotta cheese" forms.
Ingredients for Vegan Baked Ziti
Like I mentioned above, this recipe mostly calls for store-bought ingredients. While in an ideal world I'm sure we'd all be eating homemade pasta and marinara sauce on a weeknight, that's just not practical.
Below are the ingredients you'll need to make this easy vegan baked ziti:
- 1 pound of pasta (I love using whole wheat pasta!)
- 4 cups marinara sauce (about two 500 gram jars)
- Vegan mozzarella cheese (I love the Violife Mozzarella!)
- Tofu Ricotta:
- Olive oil
- Firm tofu
- Nutritional yeast
- Lemon juice
- White or yellow miso paste
- Sea salt
- Optional: frozen spinach
- Optional: Vegan Parmesan (you can use homemade cashew parmesan cheese or store-bought)
How to Make Vegan Baked Ziti
- Step One: Preheat your oven to 350F/190C and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Step Two: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. I love to use my electric tea kettle to speed up this processes! Boil your pasta until al dente, which is usually about 1-2 minutes less than the suggested cooking time. Drain and rinse.
- Step Three: While the pasta is boiling, prepare the vegan tofu ricotta. Heat a little olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the chopped onion and garlic until the onion is soft and translucent. Place the sautéed onion and garlic into your food processor and add in the remaining ricotta ingredients. Process the ingredients together until a fairly smooth "cheese" forms. Set it aside.
- Step Four: Once your pasta is cooked and your tofu ricotta is made, combine the two together in a large mixing bowl. Add in 3 cups of marinara sauce and 2 cups of vegan mozzarella. Stir well to combine.
- Step Five: Pour the pasta mixture into your greased baking dish and spread it out until fairly level. Top the pasta with the remaining 1 cup of marinara sauce, 1 cup of vegan mozzarella and the vegan parmesan, if using.
- Step Six: Bake the pasta uncovered for about 30 minutes or until it's heated through the vegan cheese is all melty and gooey.
- Step 7: Serve warm with a fresh green salad and some crusty whole wheat artisan bread!
If you love easy, vegan Italian dishes like this baked ziti, then be sure to check out the following recipes!
- One-Pot Creamy Marinara Pasta
- Whole Wheat No-Yeast No-Rise Pizza Dough
- Easy Vegan Pizza Bread
- 4 Ingredient Italian White Bean Pasta Salad
- Vegan Pizza Panini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 block firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon white/yellow miso
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Optional: 5-6 cubes frozen spinach, drained and rinsed*
- 1 lb pasta (~500 grams)
- 4 cups pasta sauce (2 500 gram jars)
- 3 cups shredded vegan mozzarella (or as much as desired)
- ½ cup vegan Parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 375F/190C and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Set it aside.
- Cook your pasta in salted water until al dente (1-2 minutes under the recommended cooking time)
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the tofu ricotta. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion until translucent. Add in the minced garlic and cook another minute or two. Transfer the cooked onion and garlic to a food processor and add in the remaining ingredients. Process until fairly smooth, scraping down the sides of the food processor as needed.
- Once the pasta has finished cooking, drain and rinse it. Return the cooked pasta to the pot and add in the tofu ricotta, 3 cups of pasta sauce and 2-3 cups of vegan mozzarella. The amount of vegan cheese you use really depends on how cheesy you want the baked ziti! Stir everything together until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into your greased baking dish and spread it out until level. Top it with the remaining 1 cup of pasta sauce, the parmesan cheese and more vegan mozzarella if desired!
- Bake the pasta uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Allow the pasta to sit for a few minutes before serving and enjoying!
I love to add in the spinach for an easy way to get in some greens, but it's optional!
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 419Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 41mgSodium 1240mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 7gSugar 9gProtein 27g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.