Sweetened with coconut sugar and maple syrup and chock full of hearty nuts and chewy coconut, this Family Size Basic Vegan Granola is hard to resist!
First of all, I want to wish the happiest of birthdays to my best friend and husband Brett! He turns 33 today (what the?!) and I'm so glad God brought him into my life 4 years ago! He's the first one of us to have a birthday in China, so well see what we get up to today to celebrate! I'm sure you'll hear about it later:)
Speaking of Brett, many of you know that, while I eat a plant-based diet, Brett does not. However, I couldn't have a better situation when it comes to living with someone who has a different diet that I do. Ever since I went vegan (almost 3 years ago!), Brett has been nothing but supportive. I never have to make two meals for us-- i.e. one with meat and one without--but he always happily eats my vegan entrees. When we're invited to someone's house for dinner, he'll even let them know that I'm vegan and what I can and cannot eat. Basically, being vegan with a non-vegan husband could not be easier!
And while I'd love for everyone I know to go vegan, eat more plants and cut out all animal products from their diet, I'm not pushy about it (at least I hope I'm not!) What I do try to do, is make food that is delicious and can help people see that dairy-free, meat-free and egg-free food really tastes amazing!
Take this Family Sized Basic Vegan Granola, for instance. Just like granola that's made with butter, this granola is sweet and crunchy and uses coconut oil instead of butter an easy first step for anyone trying to make small changes towards a vegan diet. Brett LOVES granola and eats it everyday, so this Family Sized Basic Vegan Granola recipe is a lifesaver as it lasts forever and makes a ton so that I don't have to keep making a new batch every week. It's full of texture from the pumpkin seeds and almonds, sweetness from the coconut sugar and maple syrup, and chewiness from the shredded coconut and raisins. It would make for a great gift too!
I hope you guys can give this recipe a try! If you do, let me know your thoughts in the comments or even better, take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Family Size Basic Vegan Granola
- Preheat oven to 250 °F and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts and seeds, shredded coconut, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil until it is liquid. Add in the maple syrup and stir to combine.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture and mix until all the dry ingredients are coated in the oil and maple syrup mixture.
- Pour the oat mixture onto your two prepared baking sheets and spread it out evenly
- Cook for about 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color. Make sure to check the granola often during the last 15-30 minutes as oven temperatures my vary and you don’t want your granola to burn!
- Remove the sheets from the oven and allow the granola to cool before mixing in the raisins and pouring the granola into an airtight container.