Sweetened with extra ripe bananas and speckled with chocolate chips, this Gluten Free Double Chocolate Banana Bread is perfect for a snack or quick breakfast on the go.
We're going to America!
So...awhile back my cousin got engaged and since then my family has been planning to go to the wedding in Denver, Colorado and spend some quality time together. For a while, Brett and I weren't sure we would be able to make it due to some summer plans that were up in the air, but as of this past week all lights are green and we're about to purchase our tickets.
Ah, family!! America!! Western food!! Travel!!
Yep. I'm pretty excited.
And that's not even half of the story. Brett and I have been throwing around the idea that the next time we go to America, we would travel back to China through Europe and knock some Central European countries off our list. Things are falling into place and it's looking like we'll be able to go!
What even is my life?
I'll definitely keep you all in the loop as to our itinerary. If any of you have been to Central Europe, please let me know any tips or recommendations you have.
Okay, now onto this Gluten Free, Vegan, Oil Free Double Chocolate Banana Bread (what a mouthful...hence the reason I shortened the name for the title of this post.) I've made this bread a few times in the past and for some reason never shared the recipe because it seemed too simple. But we absolutely love it and I especially love that it's mostly sweetened with fruit and is made with whole grain oats which I ground into flour. We love adding chocolate chips to everything, but if you wanted a bread that's less sweet, you could definitely omit them.
We love this bread for breakfast, snacks or dessert! Please let me know if you give this simple, Gluten Free Double Chocolate Banana Bread a try. I'd love to hear your thoughts or even better see your pictures on Instagram (tag #theconscientiouseater)!
- 1 ⅔ cup oat flour*
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 very ripe large bananas
- 2 tablespoons nut butter**
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and grease a loaf pan. Set the loaf pan aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the oat flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas until fairly smooth.
- Add the nut butter and vanilla to the bananas and mix until combined.
- Pour the banana mixture and the dairy free chocolate chips into the flour mixture and mix until just combined. It might look like the batter is too dry, but just keep mixing.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and smooth the top, sprinkling more chocolate chips on the top if desired.
- Bake the bread for 20 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven and cover the top with aluminum foil before baking the bread for another 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before removing and allowing it to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Slice and enjoy!
*I used my blender to grind oats into flour.
**You can use any kind of nut butter, but my favorites are almond butter or black tahini.