My sweet tooth is growing.
And I'm okay with that!
Being a food blogger in need of recipe content, having an inclination towards sweet foods, and being married to a man that eats dessert after lunch and dinner means that we almost always have a sweet, homemade treat available in our house. I also LOVE to host and hosting to me means serving dessert, so for unexpected visitors I love to have some cookies in the freezer or homemade chocolate on hand.
Thankfully, Brett and I are pretty good about enjoying sweet treats without going overboard, so having a batch of cookies or an anniversary cake in our house doesn't cause us to spiral into I-HAVE-TO-EAT-ALL-THE-DESSERT-RIGHT-NOW mode. We just slowly work our way through the batch of treats or serve them to guests until it's time for me to make another sweet treat.
BUT, sometimes I don't want an entire batch of the same cookie or bar. Sometimes I want to enjoy a delicious sweet treat, knowing that something new is right around the corner. For that reason...
...say hello to Low Fat Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins for Two!!
What inspired these sweet, decadent and perfectly portioned muffins was actually watching a Youtube video on mug cakes.
Yes, I love to watch cooking videos.
No, I'm not embarrassed about it.
We don't have a microwave in our house, but I really wanted to try making an individual, mug-sized treat to enjoy with my afternoon tea. But of course, whenever Brett sees me experimenting with something sweet he always wants to try a bite. Hence the Low Fat Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins FOR TWO!
These muffins take minutes to prepare, about 10 minutes to bake and are sweet, fluffy and gooey with peanut butter on the inside. They're perfect for a night time treat or as a dessert over coffee with a friend. I especially love the Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips (my newest obsession) speckled throughout which add more richness and sweet, chocolate flavor! YUM!
I hope you all are able to give these Low Fat Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins for Two a try! If you do, leave a comment below or take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Low Fat Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins for Two
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs or vegan chocolate
Peanut Butter Filling:
- 2 tablespoons peanut flour
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add in wet ingredients and chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together the ingredients for the peanut butter filling, adding more milk if necessary to reach a peanut butter consistency.
- In two prepared muffin tins drop large spoonfuls of chocolate batter into each, enough to cover the bottom of the tin. Then place ½ of the peanut butter filling in the middle of each and then top with remaining chocolate batter and a few more chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 °F for 10-12 minutes, until set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.