Made with whole wheat flour and hearty oat bran, these Vegan Oil Free Oat Bran Applesauce Muffins make for a healthy snack or breakfast on the go!
I’m writing this post as I sit on the couch with a 100+ degree fever.
Other than feeling like all my body heat is concentrated in my head, I feel okay. I’m a little bit achey, but both those things are making me feel okay about chilling on the couch all day, watching movies and scheduling blog posts ahead of time (we’ll be in Korea when you read this!) I actually think I got sick from my dear friend who lives in our city. She had a fever yesterday and stayed home from Chinese language class so I went over to cook her food and keep her company. I guess we can just be sickies together…but i guess not really together cause we’re in our own homes…but you get the idea.
What foods do you like to eat when your sick? What did you or your mom make for you growing up when you had a cold? What is your ultimate comfort food?
I don’t have one specific food that comforts me, but I would definitely say carbs and chocolate are always winners when I’m not feeling my best…or even when I am! Growing up I remember having cinnamon and sugar toast, ginger ale and chicken noodle soup when I was sick. Now that I’m older I find that I crave all the warming, comforting carbs like oatmeal, Homemade Whole Wheat Bread, white rice, baked sweet potatoes and muffins of course!
About these vegan oat bran muffins
You guys know by now that we are a muffin family. My husband usually eats a muffin a day for a snack so I’m always looking for new flavor variations. Today I’m sharing with you some delicious and simple Vegan Oil Free Oat Bran Applesauce Muffins. These muffins are full of goodness from the whole grains, homemade butter milk and sweet applesauce. They would even be delicious without the chocolate chips, but we love to add chocolate chips to errythang. Feel free to use raisins or your favorite chopped nuts instead of the chocolate if you’re looking for an even healthier muffin!
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (minus 1 Tablespoon) non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup applesauce*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup non-dairy chocolate chips + more for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line 12 muffin cups with silicone liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill the cup up the rest of the way with non-dairy milk and set the milk aside to curdle and turn into buttermilk.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, oat bran, coconut sugar, baking soda and salt until combined.
- To the flour mixture, add in the applesauce, "buttermilk" and vanilla. Stir until just combined, but don't over stir.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Top each muffin with more chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake the muffins for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Store in an airtight container for about 1 week.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving Calories 134Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 2mgSodium 204mgCarbohydrates 28gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 2gSugar 15gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 3g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.