Spice up your usual holiday loaf with this sweet and unique Vegan Coconut Zucchini Bread!
It’s that time of the month again! Well, not that time. It’s time for the Recipe Redux Challenge for the month of November. See below for this month’s challenge:
Creative Quick Breads
The holiday baking season is upon us. And this month we’re going way beyond grandma’s banana bread. From sweet to savory and whole-grain to gluten-free, show us your new quick bread creation fresh from the oven. And if you have a tip for wrapping and giving your lovely loaf, please share that too!
To be honest, I read the challenge wrong at first and thought some Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Muffins I made earlier in the month would be shareable for this month’s challenge. But when I re-read the challenge I realized that 1.) muffins aren’t technically a loaf of quick bread and 2.) pumpkin pecan isn’t a very unique flavor combination.
Back to the drawing board!
I’m so glad I re-read the challenge, because otherwise this Vegan Coconut Zucchini Bread never would have happened…and it’s delicious! Made with thick and creamy coconut milk, caramel-y coconut sugar, and shredded coconut, this load of bread has a unmistakable sweet coconut flavor and shredded zucchini keeps it nice and moist.
I also included an optional coconut sugar glaze if you want to make this Vegan Coconut Zucchini Bread extra special for the holidays. While I think this bread is delicious on it’s own, my husband definitely appreciates any extra sugar I add to things. Since it’s Thanksgiving next week, I thought it would be nice to give him an extra special treat to make it feel more like the holidays here in China.
I’d love to know if you try out this recipe! Leave a comment or take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram!
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 flax eggs (6 tablespoons water + 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded coconut
Optional Coconut Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut milk + more if needed
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- Preheat your oven to 350F and grease a standard loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, prepare you flax eggs by whisking 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the coconut milk, flax eggs and coconut oil and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini and coconut.
- Pour into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- If using the optional coconut sugar glaze, prepare it by stirring the powdered sugar and coconut milk together, starting with 1 1/2 tablespoons of milk and adding more coconut milk until it reaches your desired consistency. This makes more glaze than you'll need so feel free to cut the recipe in half!
- Pour the glaze over the bread and sprinkle on the toasted coconut.
*To make your own powdered sugar, blend together 1 cup of natural cane sugar with 1 tablespoon of arrow root powder until super fine and fluffy.
Nutrition InformationYield 15 Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 182Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 12mgSodium 160mgCarbohydrates 24gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 3gSugar 13gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 3g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.