These Simple Vegan Portobello and Rice Stuffed Peppers are perfect for busy weekday nights when you need something quick but still nutritious!
How To Spell Portobello
I’m so glad I checked on the spelling of “portobello” before I wrote this post. Who knew it didn’t contain any “A’s”?!?! I’ve always called them “portabella” mushrooms. Sheesh. Well, that’s embarrassing.
Okay. Enough of the grammar lesson.
Lately I’ve been thinking about little quirks that I have and I wonder if anyone else (a.k.a. my readers) have similar thoughts or habits. If you have any of these quirks (in italics), please let me know that I’m not alone!
I get giddy when I go to Costco (or any other store with lots of produce). All those affordable fruits and vegetables, in bulk, make me swoon.
I wash my hair (don’t read: shower!) based on when I plan to workout next. If I’m working out soon, but my hair is on the verge of greasy, I’ll try to push through so that I don’t have to shower twice.
An hour passes so quickly when I’m reading food blogs or researching recipes. I just love to experiment and am always looking for inspiration.
I’d rather eat a home-cooked meal than eat out.
I like to have dance parties in the morning…I’m that much of a morning person. (Night owls don’t hate me!)
I take pictures of my food…often. Annnnddddd try to make it look purdy:)
I can eat one kind of fruit for a meal.
It doesn’t bother me to talk about farting and bathroom stories. It must be all of the overseas travel!
The thought of reading at a coffee shop with a warm drink close by gives me the warm and fuzzies.
I love gutting. Giving or throwing things away that I don’t use makes me happy. I love a clean, clutter-free house.
I try to make sure the kitchen is clean before I go to bed or else I’ll feel the need to clean it first thing in the morning, when I should be getting other things done.
Well there you have it. Some random facts/quirks about me. I’d love to hear some of your quirks! I think quirks make people unique, so they make me happy.
About These Simple Vegan Portobello and Rice Stuffed Peppers
These Simple Vegan Portobello and Rice Stuffed Peppers also make me happy. They really are the most simple stuffed bell peppers ever, which makes them perfect for a busy weekday. I whipped these up in no time and Brett and I were able to enjoy a delicious and nutritious plant-based meal without me having to spend lots of time in the kitchen.
I love how versatile these peppers are too! Switch up the veggies or add in your favorite cooked beans to taylor it to you liking. They are also perfect for couples who follow different diets (like Brett and I). I topped mine off with Vegan Parmesan Cheese (or nutritional yeast) and Brett sprinkled his with mozzarella cheese. Perfect!
I hope you enjoy these Simple Vegan Portobello and Rice Stuffed Peppers! Have a wonderful weekend!
- 3-4 bell peppers
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 portobello mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, thyme
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion until soft. Add garlic, mushroom and spices and continue sautéing until mushrooms reduce in size. Stir in cooked rice and marinara sauce and sprinkle with red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
- While vegetables are cooking, cut peppers in half, removing the seeds and stems. Place the peppers in an oven-proof dish. When the filling is ready, fill peppers until full. Pour 1/3 cup of water on the bottom of the dish. Cover tight with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5-10 minutes more until peppers are soft. If using some type of cheese, sprinkle the cheese on the peppers when you remove the foil. If using nutritional yeast or Vegan Parmesan Cheese, you can just sprinkle it on right before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 stuffed pepper
Amount Per Serving Calories 175Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 1mgSodium 441mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 5gSugar 8gProtein 5g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.