Made with natural peanut butter and sweetened with maple syrup, these Vegan Buckeyes are a delicious and healthy way to enjoy one of your favorite desserts!
Brett's family used to live in Cleveland, Ohio, so they are all about rooting for the Ohio State Buckeyes whenever they play. Brett will sometimes even get up in the middle of the night to watch a game when we're in China! I honestly was the worst college student ever and only went to one Virginia Tech football game during my time in college, so you can only guess how much I care about the Ohio State Buckeyes. However, I fully support and admire their devotion to their team:) It's fun to watch them get excited when a game is on and to see how intently they watch each play unfold.
One other fun thing Brett's sister will sometimes do is make buckeyes for desserts around game day. These chocolate coated peanut butter balls never last long and are a fun treat to enjoy. Having her make them so often for game days or holidays made me want to create a vegan version...so these Vegan Buckeyes were born!
I was surprised at how easy these were to make and also how few ingredients they required. I also love they they are made with natural ingredients like drippy natural peanut butter and pure maple syrup. And of course the dark chocolate coating is just the icing on the cake.
I made these for some company that came over for dinner this past week and I wasn't sure if my Vegan Buckeyes would past the test with Brett and his parents, but they loved them! They are rich and decadent and perfect for any occasion.
I'd love to know if you make these Vegan Buckeyes and what you think! If you make them, be sure to leave a comment below letting me know your thoughts. Even better, take a photo of the final product and tag me on Instagram (#theconscientiouseater) so I can see your creation!
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons peanut flour
- ¼ cup roasted salted peanuts, finely chopped
- ¾ cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the natural peanut butter and maple syrup until a thicker batter forms.
- Add in the peanut flour and finely chopped peanuts and mix until combined.
- Roll the batter into about 1-inch balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. You should get about 14-16 balls
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each 30 seconds, until the chocolate has all melted
- Using a toothpick, stab a peanut butter ball and roll it in the melted chocolate to coat all the sides of the ball, leaving the very top exposed. Shake off any excess chocolate and place the chocolate coated ball back on the parchment paper. Continue this process until all the peanut butter balls have been coated in chocolate.
- Place the baking tray with the buckeyes still on it inside the fridge to allow the chocolate to harden. Once hardened, store the buckeyes in an airtight container in the fridge.
Adapted from Oh She Glows.
Nutrition InformationYield 15 Serving Size 1 buckeye
Amount Per Serving Calories 170Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 0mgSodium 66mgCarbohydrates 14gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 2gSugar 10gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 5g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.