Made with chewy toasted coconut and rich chocolate chunks, these Vegan Coconut Chocolate Chunk Blondies are a decadent treat for any occasion!
You know you live in a smaller city in China when your friend texts you the following:
"Faith, did you know there's a goat in your garden?!?"
Why yes, I actually did know there was a goat in my garden.
Last Wednesday, a huge holiday called the Torch Festival took place in certain parts of China, including our city. To celebrate, families spend the day together and then at night huge torches in the public square are lit on fire and crowds of people gather together to watch some dancing and singing. The crazy thing is that every body that goes to celebrate usually has their own personal torch that they can wield around in the air...at night...while drinking alcohol.
It's super safe.
Basically if you want to wave fire around in the air without your parents or the government caring, you should move to China.
Anyways, back to the goat. While I'm not positive, I'm pretty sure that cute little goat in our garden was someone's main course for Torch Festival celebration dinner. On the same day we saw the goat, our friend said he saw blood in our elevator. While seeing spit or pee in our elevator doesn't phase us much anymore, hearing that he saw blood made us put two and two together. I'm pretty sure we all saw the goat on his last day of life. Poor fellow.
So while Brett and I won't be killing any animals to celebrate the Torch Festival this year, we may be tucking into some of these decadent, rich Vegan Coconut Chocolate Chunk Blondies. I mean, why not enjoy a slice of "cookie" filled with chewy shredded coconut and rich chocolate morsels? Especially when they only require 9 ingredients and less than 30 minutes to make.
These Vegan Coconut Chocolate Chunk Blondies are delicious fun treat that no one would guess are vegan. Making simple swaps in popular recipes such as substituting coconut oil for butter, dairy free chocolate for milk chocolate, and homemade flax eggs for eggs, is an easy way to start making steps towards a plant-based diet.
I hope you guys can give these rich, chewy Vegan Coconut Chocolate Chunk Blondies a try! If you do, leave a comment below letting me know your thoughts and take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram so I can see your creation!
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons warm water)
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup toasted shredded coconut
- Start by preheating your oven to 350F/175C and grease or line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water to make your two flax eggs. Set aside to thicken.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, coconut sugar and vanilla until incorporated.
- Add in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until a dough forms.
- Fold in the chopped dark chocolate and toasted coconut.
- Pour into your prepared baking dish and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Let cool before cutting into 16 squares.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 207Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 12mgSodium 85mgCarbohydrates 26gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 16gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 2g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.