I have a bad night of sleep about once every week or so. There's no rhyme or reason to when these restless nights take place, but they're not my favorite. Trying to fall asleep is one of my biggest pet peeves. When I go to bed, I usually fall right asleep, as long as I've given myself time to wind down. The problems usually start in the wee hours of the morning. Either a weird dream wakes me up or I get overheated and then it's game over. From that point on I have the hardest time falling back asleep. I toss and turn and am continually thinking of who knows what until I give up and get out of bed.
While ideally I would love to get 8 hours of sleep every night and miss out on these restless nights, I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I actually love those early morning wake up calls. Even after a bad night of sleep, I feel creative and energetic and ready to take on the day. For example, just the other week I had one of those nights and after laying in bed from 4 AM until 5 AM I decided to get up. Before my language class at 8:15 I baked a batch of cookies, read for a while, did a Kayla Itsines workout, showered, ate breakfast, and was out the door on time. Gosh, I just love being so productive before I even "start" my day!
These thin and chewy Vegan Double Chocolate Tahini Cookies were the cookies I baked that early morning and, after one more batch with a couple tweaks, they turned out perfectly. Tahini and chocolate quickly became one of my favorite flavor combinations after I made my Chocolate Tahini Brownie Bites. There's just something about the salty, rich flavor of tahini that pairs so beautifully with sweet, dark chocolate. In addition to being oil-free, these cookies are also made with whole grain spelt flour and coconut sugar and pure maple syrup for sweetness. They are the perfect tea-dipping cookies and even my sweet-loving, non-vegan husband loves them!
If you give these Vegan Double Chocolate Tahini Cookies a try I'd love to know your thoughts! Leave a comment below or take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram so that I can see your beautiful creation!
Made with salty tahini and sweet chocolate, these thinly baked and oil-free Vegan Double Chocolate Tahini Cookies are the perfect dessert or snack for any occasion!
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water)
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ cup spelt flour
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder*
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ of a 100 gram chocolate bar (scant ¼ cup finely chopped chunks)
- Preheat your oven to 350F/175C and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground flaxseed and water and set aside for a few minutes to thicken up. Whisk the flax egg again once thickened.
- While the flax egg rests, mix together the tahini and coconut sugar in a mixing bowl until combined. Add in the flax egg, vanilla, and maple syrup and mix again.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder and continue to stir until a dough forms. The dough should be moist enough to form balls without cracking, but not overly sticky.
- Take 2 tablespoon amounts of dough and gently roll it into a ball and place them on your baking tray. Once you've used all of the dough, use your hands to press the balls down into ½ inch thick cookie shaped rounds, using your fingers to press back together any cracks that may have formed on the edges.
- Lastly, press your chocolate into the top of the cookies and bake for 8-10 minutes.
*You can also substitute the cocoa powder for cacao powder.