My sweet tooth seems to have made an appearance in full force lately, and I've decided to just roll with it. I've been having my Homemade Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate (recipe coming soon!) after lunch the past couple of days and have also been enjoying some kind of sweet treat before bed too. I'm guessing it's because Christmas is right around the corner and I always associate this time of year with drinking hot chocolate, eating Christmas cookies, and giving goodie bags to my friends. The fact that I actually live in a state that gets cold during the winter might have something to do with it also. Florida never was good at making hot cocoa sound appealing.
Brett isn't as big into traditions as I am, but I am thankful that he's open to starting some of our own. So far this year we were able to decorate our Christmas tree together while drinking hot chocolate and listening to Mariah Carey. And since breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, I thought it would be fun to come up with a simple, yet delicious breakfast tradition that we could make during December to get us in the Christmas spirit.
Enter in these Vegan Gingerbread Pancakes!
A while back I had made some Gingerbread Granola (which I still need to share with you all!) and that recipe inspired me to try out some other gingerbread flavored things. I'm so happy with how these pancakes turned out. I always know I have a winner when the first words out of Brett's mouth after he takes a bite are "Mmmmm!"
While these pancakes are sweeter than I'd normally eat for breakfast, I'm totally fine with that! They are made with whole wheat flour, contain no refined sugars, and are sweetened with molasses. The combination of the rich molasses and the spicy/sweet kick from the cinnamon and ginger will make you think it's Christmas morning after your first bite. I'll be making these for my coworkers this weekend and I'm excited to see what they think! I hope you get a chance to make them as well!
What are some special foods that you like to enjoy during the holidays?
What is your favorite Christmas Tradition?
Vegan Gingerbread Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 flax egg 3 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon [ground flaxseed]
- 1 ¼ cups non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- Start by prepping your flax egg by whisking together 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water. Set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, including the flax egg.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour ¼ cup of pancake batter onto the skillet and spread it around to flatten. Let it cook until bubbles start to appear around the edges of the pancake. Flip the pancake over and let the other side cook until golden brown. Continue this process with the remaining batter.
- Serve the pancakes warm with pure maple syrup, fresh fruit and granola if desired.