There is just something amazing about a hearty, whole grain, crunchy cracker that gets me every time... and these crackers do it!
I hope you guys aren't sick of all my cracker recipes yet, cause I got one more for you! And it probably won't be the last one. There is just something amazing about a hearty, whole grain, crunchy cracker that gets me every time. I've mentioned in previous posts how much I love my silicone baking mats and it's true. These mats have drastically changed the speed in which I can make homemade crackers and they allow me to roll my dough thinner which gives me store-bought cracker crispiness!
But even if you don't have silicone baking mats, you can still make these crackers (and any of my other cracker recipes like this whole wheat cracker recipe!) using parchment paper. Pulling homemade crackers out of the oven is such a rewarding feeling, so I hope you try these!
And I have to mention that making homemade crackers has inspired me to try out homemade cereal next, so stay tuned!! But let's not get too sidetracked, because these crackers turned out amazing. Usually I make my crackers with wheat flour, but a little while back I came across a cracker recipe that used oat flour. Why hadn't I thought of that!?
About These Oatmeal Crackers
These Whole Wheat Oatmeal Crackers still have whole wheat flour in them (if you couldn't already tell by the name), but the oat flour gives such a wonderful texture that you can't get in crackers made only using wheat flour. And like my other cracker recipes you can be so creative with these when it comes to flavor. I used rosemary and garlic to season these, but you could add in chives or cumin or go a sweeter route and add in some cinnamon and sugar. Get creative and tailor these to your liking!
Another thing I love about this recipe is that I've swapped out some of the oil with applesauce to lighten them up, just like my Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas. You still get the olive oil flavor, but with less of the fat and calories. Melted coconut oil would work just fine too, so use whatever oil you have on hand!
Oatmeal Crackers Photos
Homemade Whole Wheat Oatmeal Crackers Recipe
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F.
- Pour the flour mixture into a large bowl.
- Add in the olive oil, applesauce and ½ cup of water and mix until a soft dough forms. If your dough is too dry add in more water 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Split the dough in half and place it on a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper and roll the dough out until it is ⅛-inch thick. Repeat with the second half of the dough on a separate mat or sheet of parchment paper.
- Using a knife, score the dough into your desired cracker shapes. Sprinkle on more sea salt if desired.*
- Transfer the dough on the mats or parchment paper to baking sheets and bake the crackers until just barely brown, about 10-15 minutes. I always check mine after 10 minutes and then check every minute or two after that. The outer crackers with probably bake faster, so you may have to remove those and then return the other crackers back to the oven to finish baking.
- Allow the crackers to cool and then break them apart. Store in an airtight container.