I’m pretty excited to share this recipe with you all! Well, actually I have two recipes for you…a Vegan Cheese Sauce and a Cheesy Vegan Quinoa Bake. The quinoa bake is so warm, satisfying and comforting. Even my meat and cheese eating husband loves it! And if you’re in need of more plant-based protein in your life, this dish just for you. Unlike most cheesy casseroles, this “cheese” sauce is made from cashews and nutritional yeast, both of which are good sources of plant-based protein. And we all know that quinoa is a complete protein power house, containing all nine essential amino acids. Woot woot!
The Vegan Cheese Sauce that is the star of this quinoa bake is not only full of plant-based protein, but also contains lots of healthy fats to keep you satiated. Not to mention, it’s the easiest sauce to make! Simply place everything in a blender, push a button, and you’re done! You could even pour this Vegan Cheese Sauce over some whole wheat macaroni noodles for an easy vegan mac n’ cheese or simply use it as a dip for roasted veggies.
OR you can just eat it with a spoon.
- 1½ cup raw cashews*
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup almond milk
- Juice of 1 small lemon (2-3 tablespoons)
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- Place all of the ingredients into a high powdered blender and blend until smooth.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Or if you’re like me, you’ll pour this Vegan Cheese Sauce over some fluffy quinoa, stir in some sautéed mushrooms and onions, and then top everything off with toasted bread crumbs.
Then you’ll pour everything into a casserole dish and bake it into cheesy, vegan perfection.
Mmmmm. Get in my belly!
This Cheesy Vegan Quinoa Bake might just become a staple in our house. You can’t beat the simplicity of this dish and the comfort it brings. It even tastes good as leftovers. Bonus!
As always, I’d love to know if you give this dish a try. Let me know your thoughts!
- 1 recipe Vegan Cheese Sauce (above)
- 1½ cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 10 ounces bella mushrooms, washed and sliced
- ½ onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 3 slices whole grain bread*, toasted and processed into crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 2.5 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook your quinoa by bringing 3 cups of water to boil in a medium sized sauce pan. Once the water boils, stir in the quinoa, cover the pot and reduce the heat to simmer. Allow the quinoa to simmer for 15 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed. Turn the heat off and let the quinoa rest, still covered, for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- While the quinoa is simmering, sauté the onion until translucent in a large sauce pan. Add in the sliced mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have shrunk and are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Add the 5 cups of cooked quinoa and the Vegan Cheese Sauce into the large sauce pan with the mushrooms and onions and stir well.
- Pour the cheesy quinoa and mushrooms into your prepared baking dish, level out the mixture with a spatula, and top with your bread crumbs. Bake for 15 minutes until the bread crumbs are toasted and the cheesy quinoa is heated through.