These Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Date Cookies are so sweet, hearty and caramel-y, no one will know they're whole grain plus dairy and egg free!
Ah, I'm in love! I'm deeming them the best cookies I've posted on my blog yet. They're chewy, sweet, caramel-y, hearty...just plain scrumptious. If you're in need of one more dessert for Thanksgiving tomorrow, I hope you make these!
One of my favorite things about Saturday mornings is that I can bake right when I wake up. I don't know why, but I love to start my Saturday mornings in the kitchen either making Brett and I a special breakfast, a loaf of banana bread for the week, or a large batch of cookies for my cookie monster husband. This past weekend happened to be a cookie weekend and these Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Date Cookies were born.
The recipe for these Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Date Cookies was inspired by a beautiful blog that I found recently called Lady and Pups. The photography is spectacular and everything looks drool worthy. I came across a recipe for Blue Berry Oatmeal Cookies and I knew I wanted to make them dairy and egg free as well as whole grain. I swapped the all-purpose flour for spelt flour, the butter for coconut oil, the white and brown sugar for coconut sugar, the chocolate chips and blueberries for chopped dates, and the egg for a flax egg.
Final product: perfection!
To be honest, I can sometimes be the kind of baker that tries to make things a little too healthy. But let's be real, when making cookies and other desserts, sometimes you just need to use oil and sugar. It's the truth. And I'm so glad I did with these cookies, because they are currently my favorite cookies that I've ever baked.
All my friends love them and every time my husband has one (which is every day when we have them on hand), he gives me a big smile, a thumbs up, and says, "Hen Hao Chi" (a.k.a. "delicious!" in Chinese.)
Another favorite cookie recipe that never fails are my dairy-free vegan sugar cookies!
I'll take it! Please, please, please...make these cookies! If you do let me know if you love them as much as we do. Leave a comment or take a picture and tag me on Instagram at #theconscientiouseater.
Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Date Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 365 °F and line two baking trays with baking paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
- Prepare your flax egg by whisking together 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a small bowl, add 1-2 tablespoons of spelt flour to the chopped dates and use your hands to get all the date pieces coated in the flour. This will keep them from sticking together when you add them into the cookie dough.
- Fold the dates into the cookie dough.
- Drop the cookie dough onto your baking sheets in heaping tablespoon amounts, pressing the dough together if needed.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden on the top. Remove and let cool.