Thanksgiving is over and Christmas, my favorite holiday, is just around the corner! I always find that the holiday season makes me realize just how fast time is going. We spend all year looking forward to these winter holidays and, just like that, they’re gone in the blink of an eye! I’m so grateful for getting to celebrate both Thanksgiving and Christmas with my parents this year. It definitely wasn’t our plan to be in Ireland during November and December, but being here has turned into such a restful gift. I’m so thankful for all the extra quality time Harper, Brett and I are getting with my parents and it has been so nice to attend such fun holiday celebrations with my parents and their friends.
Speaking of which, my parents are quite the busy socializers! Ever since we arrived they’ve proven to be as busy as they would often describe over Skype calls. It seems like every night they’re either hosting or attending a party or gathering. It’s actually been great for me, because I’m always looking for people to eat all my recipe testing creations. These sugar cookies, for example, didn’t last long between all of us currently living in my parents house and their friends who came over one morning. I was so happy to see them gobbled up so quickly, because that means they were enjoyed!
This vegan sugar cookie recipe has been my go-to Christmas recipe for years. In fact, I first posted the recipe for these cookies way back in 2013 when I had just started my blog. Whenever I’d refer back to that post to make these cookies, however, I would cringe at the blurry photos and weird recipe card. I also didn’t want such a simple, delicious recipe to get lost in the depths of my blog’s recipe archives, so I decided to repost the recipe…with some fresh photos of course!
These sugar cookies really couldn’t be easier. Once you get the dough formed and let it chill in the fridge for a bit, you just roll it out, cut it into fun shapes and bake the cookies until slightly golden. But why am I telling you guys this?! You guys know how to make sugar cookies!
Vegan Cookie Recipes:
And just in case sugar topped with more sugar isn’t your thing, I have a ton of other delicious vegan cookie recipes on the blog that would be great for the holidays, so be sure to check them out! Some of my favorites are below:
Easy Vegan Sugar Cookies:
- 1½ cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup earth balance spread, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons natural cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 2-3 teaspoons almond milk
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the earth balance butter and sugar together with a hand mixer. A stand mixer would also work perfectly for this.
- Add in the vanilla extract and milk and mix a little more.
- As you continue to mix, slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until everything is combined and a dough forms.
- Take the dough and form it into a disk and wrap it in saran warp paper. Let it chill in the fridge for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is about ¼ inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes and place the cut outs on the baking sheets.
- Re-roll the remaining “scrap” dough and continue to cut out cookies until all the dough is used.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the underneath is slightly golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool completely before icing and decorating.
- To make the icing, put the powdered sugar in a bowl and add a tablespoon of milk and stir. Continue adding a teaspoon of milk at a time, stirring in between, until a thick frosting forms. Be careful not to add too much milk! A little goes a long way.