Made with whole food ingredients and full of plant based protein, this Easy Veggie Burger Recipe with BBQ sauce will please vegans and omnivores alike!
Whenever we're in the States, Brett and I live off store bought veggie burgers.
We eat other things too of course, but if I don't feel like cooking, we just heat a veggie burger up on the skillet and enjoy it with all the condiments.
However, whenever we're in Asia, I start making my own homemade veggie burgers again.
And guys, veggie burgers are so easy to make!
Plus homemade vegan burgers are a great item to meal prep at the start of the week for quick and easy lunches.
Oh, and of course they have veggies in them!
Today I'm sharing an easy veggie burger recipe with BBQ sauce and I'm sure you'll love it!
Ingredients You Need to Make Homemade Veggie Burgers
Veggie burgers can be made from a wide variety of ingredients.
The base is often a mix of beans or tofu, nuts and seeds, whole grains, cooked vegetables, and spices.
Vegetarian burgers are often bound together with an egg, but for vegan veggie burgers, flax eggs or just ground flaxseed works like a charm!
By mixing and matching these ingredients, the flavor possibilities are endless!
For this specific BBQ Veggie Burger, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Garlic, minced
- Kidney beans
- Cooked brown rice
- Oat flour
- Quick oats
- Ground flaxseed
- BBQ sauce
- Salt and pepper
These BBQ Veggie Burgers are loaded with veggies, whole grains, healthy fats and lots of flavor from different spices and your favorite BBQ sauce.
We love this easy veggie burger recipe eaten with lettuce, tomato, mashed avocado, red onion and more BBQ sauce on some homemade bread.
They're hearty and hold their shape, which is a big must for us when it comes to homemade veggie burgers!
Different Flavors of Veggie Burgers
I'm excited to continue to adapt the spices and condiments of these BBQ Veggie Burgers to create different flavors.
It would be so easy to make pizza burgers by using Italian seasonings and pizza sauce instead of cumin and BBQ sauce.
Or you could do an Asian-inspired veggie burger with Chinese 5 spice and hoisin sauce.
Get creative and switch up this basic veggie burger recipe to create a delicious, new variation!
How to Make Veggie Burgers with Step-By-Step Instructions
To make these homemade veggie burgers, follow these step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: Sauté carrot, onion, garlic and walnuts until soft
Step 2: Combine all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl
Step 3: Mash all of the ingredients together until a uniform, sticky dough forms
Step 4: Mold the dough into patties
Step 5: Place the patties onto a baking sheet and glaze the tops with more BBQ sauce
Step 6: Bake the patties for 35-40 minutes, flipping halfway through
Enjoy! these easy veggie burgers with more of your favorite BBQ sauce, toppings and Homemade Vegan Burger Buns!
How to Store Leftover Veggie Burgers
Like I mentioned above, veggie burgers are a great meal prep item.
Fridge: You can store leftover veggie burgers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Freezer: If you want to make a bunch of veggie burgers and freeze some, start by flash freezing the veggie burgers on a baking sheet before transferring them to an airtight freezer bag.
How to Reheat Veggie Burgers
To reheat veggie burgers, wrap them in aluminum foil and bake them at 350F for 8-10 minutes.
Alternatively, you can also microwave them. However, this will make them softer and more flimsy than if you baked them.
Best Veggie Burger Toppings
We are ALL about the toppings when it comes to burgers and sandwiches!
Whenever we eat burgers at our house, we bring out all the sauces, condiments, toppings and keep adding them as we eat.
I'll list out my favorite toppings to have with these Vegan BBQ Burgers Below:
- More BBQ sauce!
- Vegan mayo
- Sliced or mashed avocado
- Sautéed onions
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Vegan cheese
Easy BBQ Veggie Burger Recipe
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 onion finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ½ cup oat flour
- ½ cup quick oats
- 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt and black pepper
- Optional: extra BBQ sauce for glaze
- In a frying pan, sauté the shredded carrot and chopped onion with a pinch of salt until softened.
- Add in the minced garlic, cumin and chopped walnuts and saute a few more minutes.
- Using a potato masher, mash all of the ingredients together until a sticky "dough" forms and everything is mostly combined. It's okay if you can see some whole beans or parts of beans in the mixture.
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F and line a baking try with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Take handfuls of the veggie burger "dough" and form it into patties about 3-4 inches in diameter and ½ an inch high. Continue this process until all of the dough has been molded into patties. I usually get about 8 burgers total.
- Place the burgers onto your lined baking tray and spread the tops of the burgers with another tablespoon of BBQ sauce.
- Bake the burgers for 20 minutes. Remove the burgers from the oven, flip them over and top the other side with another tablespoon of BBQ sauce. Place the burgers back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and fairly sturdy.
- Enjoy the burgers on you favorite hamburger buns with all your favorite toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, red onion, more BBQ sauce, Homemade Ketchup, mashed avocado, etc.