Get some extra micronutrients into your diet with these Green Superfood Overnight Oats, which are sweetened naturally with banana!
The first time I made these easy Green Superfood Overnight Oats was when I was stuck in a hotel room for a week, living off of easy microwaveable vegan meals.
While I never get sick of having my cakey, chocolate zoats for breakfast, I was craving oatmeal for dinner one night and thought I should switch things up and come up with something new. I also felt like it would be good to get some form of greens in my diet if possible.
That's how these Green Superfood Overnight Oats came to be! They were the perfect way to satisfy my oatmeal and greens craving!
What are superfoods?
According to dictionary.com, a superfood is
a food considered exceptionally good for one’s health and for boosting the immune system owing to its naturally high content of vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, or omega-3 fatty acidsdictionary.com
What are examples of superfoods?
"Superfood" is a fairly new term so the definition is somewhat fluid as are what people call "superfoods".
Healthline lists the following superfoods:
- Dark Leafy Greens: kale, swiss chard, collard greens, turnip greens, and spinach.
- Berries: raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and cranberries
- Green Tea
- Legumes: beans, lentils, peas, peanuts and alfalfa
- Nuts: almonds, pecans, pistachios, walnuts, cashews, Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts
- Seeds: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flaxseeds and hemp seeds
- Kefir / Yogurt
- Olive Oil
- Turmeric (Curcumin)
- Sweet Potato
Best Green Superfood Powders
I've actually only tried one kind of green superfood powder so far, but there are a couple that I see floating around the internet often and they all have wonderful reviews.
Essona Power Shot Greens Superfood Powder
I currently am using Essona Power Shot Greens Superfood Powder and I like it a lot! It's a great way for me to add some extra superfoods to my smoothies or, as you can obviously see from this post, my overnight oats as well.
Amazing Grass Green Superfood Organic Powder
Another brand of green superfood powder that I see others using and loving is Amazing Grass Green Superfood Organic Powder. Amazing Grass produces quite a few different flavors of greens powders, some of which include sweet berry, chocolate, and tangerine.
Nested Naturals Super Greens Powder
Lastly, Nested Naturals Super Greens powder has wonderful reviews on Amazon as well.
I'd love to know what greens superfood powders you all use or recommend! (leave a review and comment!)
What are overnight oats?
Overnight oats are un-cooked oats that are soaked overnight in liquid with a few other ingredients. The result is cold, creamy oats that are ready for you when you wake up! Overnight oats can also be taken on-the-go and topped with whatever toppings you want!
I love how versatile overnights are!
When you prepare the oats the night before you can also determine what flavor you want them to be. You can do this by adding in different spices, flavored milks, fruit purees, and mix-ins such as fresh and dried fruits, nut butters, nuts, seeds, cacao nibs or even chocolate chips!
More Overnight Oats Recipes
If green superfood overnight oats aren't your thing, don't worry! Check out my 5 Amazing Overnight Oats Recipes that you can meal prep!
I'm sure you'll find a flavor that suits you!
Green Superfood Overnight Oats
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 ½ teaspoon greens powder
- ¾ cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- In a bowl, mash up your ripe banana.
- Add in the greens powder and stir well until you get a green mixture.
- Add in the quick oats and chia seeds and stir well.
- Lastly add in the non-dairy milk and stir everything together well.
- Pour the green oats into a jar and cover. Place the jar in the fridge and allow the oats to soak overnight in order to thicken.
- In the morning, enjoy the oats as is, straight out of the jar, or pour them into a bowl and add whatever toppings you desire!
Cat Owens says
This recipe looks absolutely amazing what a nice thing to see and wake up to in the morning I can’t wait to try it thank you so much for sharing your recipe
Faith VanderMolen says
So glad you liked this recipe Cat! Thanks for sharing!