Made with creamy cashew milk and sweetened with maple syrup, this Homemade Cashew Milk Hot Chocolate is a special version of your favorite holiday beverage!
Cashews are such a versatile ingredient. They taste amazing on their own, like in this sweet and salty roasted cashew recipe. When blended with water they transform into cashew cream which is perfect for soups and stews. They also make for the perfect base for homemade hot chocolate.
Brett, my friends and I have officially deemed this Homemade Cashew Milk Hot Chocolate the best hot chocolate I've ever made...and I've made quite a few batches in my day. The special ingredient in this hot chocolate is definitely the Homemade Cashew Milk! It makes for the creamiest, richest hot chocolate ever and is so easy to make, especially if you have a high speed blender.
If you like chocolate drinks, you have to try this Simple Chocolate Syrup Recipe for Homemade Chocolate Milk!
Not long after moving to China I purchased a soy milk maker and have been loving it. It provides cheap, healthy soy milk for me multiple times a week. But I gotta say, homemade soy milk definitely has a beany taste. This eventually forced me to occasionally make Homemade Cashew Milk for special occasions. Cashew milk is so easy to make at home and has a subtly sweet taste to it without having to add any sweeteners. Plus it's creamy and rich and good for you! I basically just soak some cashews and then blend them with water in my Vitamix to make the most delicious milk. My Vitamix blends everything so well that I don't even need to strain the milk. If you don't have a high speed blender though, you can easily use a regular blender and then strain the milk through a fine mesh strainer or some cheese cloth to remove the cashew pulp.
The day I made hot chocolate with my homemade cashew milk was a game changer. My friends and I all loved it and I've been making my hot chocolate this way ever since. It's getting me so excited for the holiday months and being with friends and family in America. I'll definitely be making this in America and enjoying it with some eggless vegan peanut butter blossoms while bundled up in a blanket, waiting for baby girl to make her entrance into the world.
While some days I hate that living in China forces me to make so many foods from scratch, I'm also so thankful that I discovered this Homemade Cashew Milk Hot Chocolate. If you live in America, you could probably use store bought cashew milk, but I honestly don't think it would be the same or as special.
Please let me know if you give this Homemade Cashew Milk Hot Chocolate a try and what you think! If you like it, you'd probably like homemade oat milk as well!
Homemade Cashew Milk Hot Chocolate
HOMEMADE CASHEW MILK:
- 1 cup cashews
- 5 cups water
HOT CHOCOLATE (one serving):
- 1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 cup Homemade Cashew Milk above
- Place the 1 cup of cashews in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow them to soak for about 10 minutes. Strain and rinse.
- Place the soaked cashews in a high speed blender along with 5 cups of water. Blend on high for about 1 minute until smooth.
- If you don't have a high speed blender, strain the cashew milk through a fine mesh strainer or some cheese cloth to remove the cashew pulp.
- To prepare 1 serving of Homemade Cashew Milk Hot Chocolate, start by whisking together the cocoa powder, maple syrup and hot water in a small sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Continue whisking the mixture until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour in 1 cup of your homemade cashew milk and whisk to combine.
- Allow the hot chocolate to heat through before pouring it into a mug and serving.
Do the cashews need to be raw or roasted?
Faith VanderMolen says
I loved it! I made it I also after making the milk I then added cocoa powder and maple syrup and then re put in bullet it became even creamier and then I warmed slowly on stove! Yum!
Yay! So so happy you enjoyed this recipe Stacie. And blending it in the bullet is brilliant. I bet it was so creamy and frothy! Thanks for sharing your results with me:)
This looks and sounds delicious, Faith! Do you make your own marshmallows, too?! You are a wonder woman!!
I'm obsessed...and I don't think it's just a pregnancy either cause all my friends love it too. And I wish I made marshmallows! I just buy the dandies brand:)