Creamy chocolate hazelnut butter and dark cocoa combine together to form a rich and decadent dairy free Nutella Hot Chocolate!
It’s no surprise by now that I’m in love with everything chocolate.
Especially when chocolate is served as a comforting hot beverage in the form of hot chocolate.
I’ve posted a fair share of dairy free hot chocolate recipes on the blog over the years, including this Homemade Cashew Milk Hot Chocolate and Dairy-Free Turmeric Hot Chocolate (don’t knock it til you try it)!
However, this vegan Nutella Hot Chocolate is especially delicious!
Is Nutella Vegan?
Traditional store-bought Nutella isn’t vegan as it contains milk. But don’t fret! I recently shared with you all how to make Homemade Vegan Nutella and that works perfectly in this Nutella Hot Chocolate recipe.
If you don’t have time to make your own homemade Nutella, there are quite a few brands of vegan, dairy-free chocolate hazelnut butter that you can use. I personally love Justin’s and Jem Organics chocolate hazelnut spreads.
How to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate
Making hot chocolate from scratch at home is almost as easy as using a store-bought mix. Plus, it tastes way better in my opinion! To make this Nutella hot chocolate at home, simply follow the instructions below:
- Step 1: Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Step 2: Pour the mixture into a sauce pan and heat over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until heated through.
- Step 3: Pour into a mug, top with dairy free whipped cream, marshmallows and chocolate shavings and enjoy!
If you don’t have a blender, don’t worry! You can also place all of the ingredients into a sauce pan and whisk well until smooth. Then heat the mixture over medium-low heat until warmed through.
Fun Hot Chocolate Toppings
Of course, when it comes to hot chocolate, you also need to focus on the toppings. Am I right?!
Below I’ll list out some of my favorite ways to turn a boring cup of hot chocolate into a fun, festive treat!
- Whipped Cream: Top your rich mug of Nutella hot chocolate with dairy free whipped cream!
- Marshmallows: Marshmallows are a must when enjoying a cup of hot chocolate. Traditional marshmallows actually aren’t vegan as they contain ground up animal bones. That’s why we love to use Dandies Vegan Marshmallows! They come in regular and mini sizes and have multiple flavors as well, including vanilla and peppermint. Yum!
- Chocolate Shavings: Adding some dark chocolate shavings to the top of your hot chocolate is a sure fire way to make it fancy. To make chocolate shavings, simply using a vegetable peeler to shave the side of a dark chocolate bar. You’ll wow your friends and family with this simple topping!
I’d love to know if you give this simple Nutella Hot Chocolate a try! Be sure to leave a comment down below, rate the recipe and share it with others!
- 1 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dairy free chocolate hazelnut butter*
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
Optional toppingsnutella hot chocolate
- Dairy free whipped cream, chocolate shavings, vegan marshmallows, etc.
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a sauce pan and heat over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until heated through.
- Pour into a mug, top with dairy free whipped cream, marshmallows and chocolate shavings and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 522Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 28mgSodium 292mgCarbohydrates 52gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 4gSugar 43gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 17g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.