What do you all have planned for this weekend? My weekend looks packed, but I’m excited about everything I have planned. On Saturday I’ll be hosting a brunch to celebrate my good friend’s recent engagement. Saturday night Brett and I are hittin’ up a coffee shop to do some work together. Sunday will be jammed packed with a morning coffee date, then lunch-outside-at-Central-Park-because-it-will-finally-be-warm-date, and then hosting and cooking for church at night. Phew! Lots of social events and cooking, but that’s what I love!
Today I’m sharing these awesome Low-Fat Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies with you all. I’ve tried quite a few times to “healthify” brownies and I’ve come to the conclusion that if I want the end result to have the same texture and taste as normal brownies, then it’s not possible to use mainly whole wheat flour, dates, and applesauce. I’m sure you all are thinking, “Duh Faith! I could have told you that!”
Hey. A girl can dream can’t she?!
So while these Low-Fat Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies aren’t made with whole wheat flour and they aren’t sweetened with dates and they aren’t…blah, blah, blah…I can say that they are gooey, rich, delicious and so easy to make! They only require 7 ingredients and 5 minutes.
As you can see from their title, these brownies are also low in fat. To be honest, I actually dislike adding descriptions such as “low-fat,” “sugar-free,” or “Gluten-free” to my recipes because I feel as if I’m promoting such diets or saying that certain things such as gluten or fat are bad for you, which I don’t. However, I do know that many people are trying to follow a certain diet or avoid certain ingredients for health reasons so I want to make it easier for them to find what their looking for. Does that make sense? So if you are someone who can’t tolerate or consume gluten, or who is following a plant-based diet (I’ll raise my hand here), or who is looking for more low-fat, sweet treats, then I am happy to say that these brownies are all that!
I hope you enjoy these brownies…and your weekend!
- ¾ cup gluten free flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut*
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 large flax eggs (2 T ground flaxseed + ½ cup warm water)
- Preheat your oven to 355 degrees and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper on non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with ½ cup warm water. Set aside to gel.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cacao, coconut and baking powder until fully combined and lump free. Add in the maple syrup and flax eggs and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish and bake for 17-20 minutes until set. Let cool completely before slicing** and serving!
**These brownies are pretty gooey. I found them easiest to cut after they had been chilled in the fridge.