By the time this post goes up, Brett and I will have spent a week with my parents in Ireland. Next up are adventures in Spain, France and Italy! I’m looking forward to sharing pictures, delicious food, and stories with you all once I’m back in the states, but for now you’ll have to be satisfied with these Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Banana Ice Cream Blizzards. I think you’ll manage;)
I actually created this recipe after I had been traveling for the weekend for Brett’s cousin’s wedding last month. The entire time we were gone I mainly ate sweet potatoes, oatmeal, fruit and salads in my hotel room (other than the wedding and rehearsal nights), and by the time I got home I was craving a smoothie. I had these 4-ingredient, Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Balls already prepared and had a brilliant idea that I should make some banana ice cream for lunch and mix in pieces of the soft, doughy cookie dough to create a blizzard. Oh yeah, it was a delicious lunch. Plus, when you top it all off with low-fat chocolate sauce and some crunchy cacao nibs, you get one amazing and healthy lunch…er, dessert.
One of the main things I love about eating a plant-based, vegan diet is that I get to enjoy satisfying, sweet desserts and I still feel awesome and energetic afterwards. In the past when I would eat cake or ice cream I would always feel sick and sluggish afterwards and, unfortunately, complain to Brett about how bad I felt. Now I can eat dessert for lunch and feel great all afternoon!
How is that?!
Well, for me, plant-based desserts that are sweetened with whole foods like fruit and dates and small amounts of unrefined sweeteners don’t spike my blood sugar or give me sugar headaches. Most are lower in fat and full of whole food nutrition to keep me satiated and nourished. I can enjoy lots of dessert while promoting good health and that’s amazing to me!!
I think one of the biggest misconceptions of a plant-based or vegan diet is that it is restrictive and boring. Many people (including myself in the past!) think vegans just eat salad and rice crackers all the time and are weak and tired. In fact, just a few weekends ago someone who just found out I was vegan asked me if I was tired all the time because I don’t eat meat! In fact, I feel the opposite and have more energy throughout the day now than ever before.
Okay, I feel like I’m starting to rant and that’s not like me. Just know that you can promote your health AND eat dessert.
And it will be delicious. Trust me.
- 4 bananas, cut into chunks and frozen overnight
- 2 Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Balls*
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- Let your banana pieces sit out at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. Then in a food processor or high speed blender, process the frozen banana pieces and optional medjool dates until you get banana soft serve ice cream. Scrape down the sides of your processors when necessary.
- In a small bowl whisk the ingredients for the chocolate sauce together until smooth.
- Prepare the peanut butter cookie dough bites by breaking off small pieces of your already prepared Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Balls and rolling those pieces into small balls.
- To assemble your blizzards you can either carefully stir the cacao nibs and PB bites into the banana soft serve and drizzle with chocolate sauce, or your can layer all of the ingredients into your desired glasses.
- Serve immediately!
*Recipe for 4-ingredient Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Balls.
For more sweetness and chunkiness, you can optionally add in 2 pitted medjool dates
- Healthworks Cacao Powder
- Healthworks Cacao/Cocoa Nibs Raw Organic
- Coachella Organic Medjool Dates
- Hamilton Beach 10-Cup Food Processor & Vegetable Chopper with Bowl Scraper
- Vitamix 5200 Blender Professional-Grade, Self-Cleaning 64 oz Container
- PLANT BiASED - a beginner's guide to eating a more plant-based diet
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 Blizzard
Amount Per Serving Calories 470Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 10mgSodium 300mgCarbohydrates 75gFiber 5gSugar 29gProtein 5g