Thanks to Brett, I will always laugh when I think of this Vegan Ice Cream Cake with Oreo Frosting.
Last weekend, my sister-in-law’s family (the family we’ve been living with since we came back from China) had another family over for dinner. The family has six, beautiful, red-hair children who all hit it off well with my niece and nephews. We had a traditional American, summer dinner of grilled meats (veggie burger for me), roasted veggies, bread and fruit. It was delicious and everyone was having a good time together, swimming in the pool outside or chatting in chairs along the edge of the pool. I was holding Harper outside and went into the house to start preparing her bottle for bed. I was putzing around the kitchen when Brett popped his head out from around the corner of a nearby room.
“Oh, hey!” I said. “Whatcha doing back there?”
“Oh nothing.” He said, as he disappeared back around the corner.
A minute later he walks into the kitchen with a messy plate, a fork and sly grin on his face.
At first I thought he had just been eating seconds of dinner, as he had been super hungry earlier. Then I noticed the chocolate sauce and Oreo crumbs smeared on the plate and when I looked at him, he gave a little giggle and said: “I was still hungry!”
Basically, he wanted some of this AMAZING (and crazy easy to make, might I add) Vegan Ice Cream Cake, but he knew there wasn’t enough to give to all the guests, so he hid in the back and ate it by himself…while everyone was outside hanging out together.
We both had a good laugh about it and I secretly was just super happy that he thought my recipe was so delicious.
But how could it not be?! With a crunchy, chocolatey crust and a ice cold creamy center, this Easy Vegan Ice Cream Cake with Oreo Crust is absolutely amazing. It’s also an amazing hosting dessert as it takes minimal effort to prepare and will be a crowd pleaser, no matter who you’re serving! The fresh, coconut whipped cream and chocolate sauce drizzle makes this Vegan Ice Cream Cake look so fancy too. I made ours with vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream (Nada Moo is my current favorite brand of ice cream), but you can use whichever flavor of ice cream is your favorite. You really can’t go wrong! Also, in case you were wondering, Hershey’s chocolate syrup is vegan. You’re welcome.
I would love to know if you give this Easy Vegan Ice Cream Cake a try and what you think! Leave a comment down below letting me know your thoughts and what flavor of ice cream you use! I’d also love to see a photo of the final product on Instagram so be sure to tag me, @theconscientiouseater!
Help The World Eat More Plants!
- 28 Oreo cookies
- 6½ tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 2 pints of your favorite non-dairy ice cream
- coconut whipped cream
- dairy free chocolate sauce or fudge
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9-10 inch pie pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor, grind the Oreos into a fine flour. Pour the ground Oreos into a bowl and add in the melted butter. Stir everything together to combine.
- Pour the Oreo/butter mixture into your prepared pie pan and use your hands to spread the mixture evenly on the bottom and sides of the pie pan. Press the mixture firmly to make it compact.
- Bake the Oreo crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- About 10-20 minutes before you want to fill the oreo crust, remove your ice cream from the freezer to allow it to thaw. Then spread the 2 pints of ice cream evenly over top of the Oreo crust.
- Place the cake back in the freezer to allow the ice cream to reharden.
- Remove the cake from the freezer a few minutes before cutting or use a knife run under hot water to cut the cake.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream and chocolate sauce!