With a crunchy Oreo crust and a creamy ice cream center, this Easy Vegan Ice Cream Cake is a decadent dessert perfect for summer!
I grew up on ice cream.
I'm actually a little bit concerned thinking about the amount of ice cream I ate as a kid.
We always had gallons of ice cream in our freezer and I could eat in whenever I wanted.
I still love ice cream, especially when it's in the form of an ice cream cake.
But really, who doesn't like a thick slice of ice cream cake?!
Thankfully, if you can't have dairy or eat a plant-based diet as I do, you can still get your ice cream cake fix with this easy, dairy-free Vegan Ice Cream Cake!
With an Oreo crust and a creamy ice cream filling, even non-vegans will love this vegan ice cream cake recipe!
Let me show you how to make it!
Vegan Ice Cream Cake Ingredients
Not only is this vegan ice cream cake easy to make, but it only requires 5 ingredients!
I'll list out everything you need below:
- Oreo cookies
- Vegan butter, melted
- Vegan ice cream (Try my 3 Ingredient, No-Churn Vegan Ice Cream recipe!)
- Coconut whipped cream
- Dairy free chocolate sauce or fudge
Best Vegan Ice Cream Brands
There are so many dairy-free and vegan ice cream brands available nowadays that I know you'll have no trouble getting your hands on a couple of pints for this recipe.
I know everyone has different opinions when it comes to brands of ice cream, but in case you're new to the world of vegan ice cream, I'll share my favorite brands with you below:
There are so many other brands available that I have even yet to try, so don't limit yourself to just these ones.
Work your way through the brands you have access to and see which
Are Oreos Vegan?
As you can see from the title of this recipe, I usually make an Oreo crust for this vegan ice cream cake.
You may be wondering, "Are Oreos vegan?"
Oreos are in fact dairy-free and vegan!
That doesn't mean they are healthy, but yes, they are vegan and free from animal products.
While they have a creamy center, the center doesn't actually contain any dairy.
The cream is made from partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.
So yeah, definitely not healthy, but delicious none-the-less!
How to Make an Oreo Crust
To make this vegan ice cream cake, you're going to start by preparing the Oreo crust.
In a food processor, grind Oreos into a fine flour.
Pour the ground Oreos into a bowl and add in some melted vegan butter. Stir everything together to combine.
Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a prepared pie pan and bake the Oreo crust for 10 minutes.
Remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
Fill it with whatever you desire!
How to Make Vegan Ice Cream Cake
To make this vegan ice cream cake, you'll need to start by preparing the Oreo crust.
Read the instructions above on how to do that!
Once your crust is ready, you can prepare the ice cream filling.
About 10-20 minutes before you want to fill the oreo crust, remove your favorite dairy-free/vegan ice cream from the freezer to allow it to thaw a little bit. Then spread the 2 pints of ice cream evenly over top of the Oreo crust.
Place the cake back in the freezer to allow the ice cream to reharden.
Remove the cake from the freezer a few minutes before cutting or use a knife run under hot water to cut the cake.
Best Toppings for Ice Cream Cake
You may think an Oreo crust and ice cream filling is decadent enough, but I'm here to tell you that your ice cream cake isn't done yet!
You need toppings!
The toppings you choose for your ice cream cake may vary depending on what flavor of ice cream you use.
I'll list out some options below, but feel free to use the same mix-ins your ice cream has as the toppings for your ice cream cake!
- Dairy-free chocolate fudge.
- Coconut Milk Whipped Cream
- Chopped Nuts
- Coconut flakes
- Chocolate chips
- Caramel sauce
- Broken up cookies
- Chopped up candy bars
- Crushed candy canes
- Fresh fruit
- Cookie dough
In the photos for today's vegan ice cream cake, I used mint chocolate chip ice cream for the filling and topped everything off with coconut milk whipped cream and chocolate fudge!
Just like ice cream lasts for ages in the freezer, ice cream cake lasts quite a while in the freezer as well!
To store leftover ice cream cake, simply cover the top of the cake with a layer of plastic wrap and then aluminum foil before storing it in the freezer.
If it will fit in a zip-lock freezer bag, do that as well! This will prevent any freezer burn from occurring.
Before freezing any leftover ice cream cake, make sure you don't leave on any fresh fruit toppings such as bananas. They don't freeze very well!
In fact, be sure to just freeze the base of the ice cream cake and just add toppings right before serving.
Easy Vegan Ice Cream Cake with Oreo Crust
- 28 Oreo cookies
- 6 ½ tablespoons vegan butter melted
- 2 pints of your favorite non-dairy ice cream
- coconut whipped cream
- dairy free chocolate sauce or fudge
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F and spray a 9-10 inch pie pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor, grind the Oreos into a fine flour. Pour the ground Oreos into a bowl and add in the melted butter. Stir everything together to combine.
- Pour the Oreo/butter mixture into your prepared pie pan and use your hands to spread the mixture evenly on the bottom and sides of the pie pan. Press the mixture firmly to make it compact.
- Bake the Oreo crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- About 10-20 minutes before you want to fill the oreo crust, remove your ice cream from the freezer to allow it to thaw. Then spread the 2 pints of ice cream evenly over top of the Oreo crust.
- Place the cake back in the freezer to allow the ice cream to reharden.
- Remove the cake from the freezer a few minutes before cutting or use a knife run under hot water to cut the cake.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream and chocolate sauce!