With a doughy, biscuit base and sweet strawberry topping, this easy Vegan Strawberry Shortcake recipe is a delicious summer dessert!
Strawberries are in season and we are eating through them by the pound!
We love strawberry everything in our family, especially these Vegan Strawberry Jam Oatmeal Bars for a fun snack.
Of course, a strawberry version of my Easy Instant Pot Berry Compote makes the best PB&Js.
And it wouldn't truly be summer without a Vegan Strawberry Shortcake!
Let me show you how to make it!
What is Shortcake?
Shortcake, in America, is a sweet biscuit that is crumbly and has been made by using either baking powder or baking soda as the leavening agents.
Traditionally, shortcake is made with flour, sugar, butter, milk and cream.
"Shortcake" stems from the Old English cooking term for when a food is made crumbly or crispy from the addition of fat, such as butter or lard.
In today's vegan shortcake recipe, we'll be using coconut oil to create a flaky, buttery shortcake!
Ingredients to Make Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry shortcake sounds fancy, but it's so easy to make!
It requires just 8 ingredients, many of which you probably have on hand.
I'll list out all of the ingredients you'll need below:
- Lemon juice
- Baking powder
- Coconut oil
- Non-dairy milk
So simple, right?
How to "Veganize" Shortcake
Obviously the base for strawberry shortcake is, well, shortcake!
Usually, shortcake is make with lots of butter.
So, to veganize shortcake, we're going to use coconut oil instead.
Coconut oil is a great butter substitute in baking as it is hard when cold, yet melts when heated...just like butter.
To make vegan strawberry shortcake, simply follow the step-by-step instructions in the vegan strawberry shortcake recipe below.
How to Store Leftover Strawberry Shortcake
If you happen to have leftovers of this Vegan Strawberry Shortcake (which I doubt you will!), don't worry. You can easily store the leftovers to enjoy another time.
To keep the shortcakes fresh, store them separately in an airtight container on the counter for 1-2 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
Store the strawberries separately in an airtight container in the fridge for up to about 3 days.
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 pints strawberries washed, de-stemmed and chopped into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup sugar
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil chilled
- 1 cup non-dairy milk + more if needed
- Coconut milk whipped cream
- Preheat your oven to 375 °F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place 6 tablespoons of coconut oil into a bowl and place it in the freezer to help the coconut oil harden.
- Prepare the strawberry filling by mixing the cut up strawberries, sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients for the shortcake, from the flour to the salt.
- Remove the chilled coconut oil from the freezer and add it to the flour mixture. Use a fork or two knives to cut the coconut oil into the dry mixture until a crumbly mixture forms. You want pea-sized pieces of coconut oil or smaller.
- Add in 1 cup of non-dairy milk and stir everything together until a dough forms. If the dough is too dry, add in another tablespoon of non-dairy milk. If it's too wet, add in a bit more flour.
- Pour the dough onto a clean surface dusted with flour and use your hands to press the dough down until its 1 inch-thick. Use a round cookie cutter or a cup to cut out biscuit shaped rounds. Place the cut out circles onto your prepared baking sheet and continue this process until all the dough has been used up. You should get about 6-8 shortcakes. If desired, you can brush a little almond milk on the top of the shortcakes and then sprinkle the tops with some extra sugar.
- Bake the shortcakes for about 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove the shortcakes from the oven and allow them to cool.
- To serve, slice the shortcakes in half and pile some strawberries and store bought or homemade non-dairy whipped cream in the middle and again on top if desired.