There are so many meals I eat on a regular basis which I wouldn’t consider recipes. They’re easy to make and I don’t have to think twice about what ingredients or amounts I use. However, posting what I eat on a daily basis on Instagram has shown me that lots of these meals are new for people (especially those transitioning to plant-based diets) and lots of people often ask me for recipes.
That’s why I’m posting this Cheesy Vegan Tofu Scramble recipe! This scramble has been a staple in my diet the past month or two. It’s so simple to prepare and the salty, cheesy flavor is so comforting. Tofu scrambles can be a great substitute for people who can’t eat eggs or who want to transition to a more plant-based diet.
The key to this Cheesy Vegan Tofu Scramble is extra firm tofu and lots of seasonings. In order to not get a mushy mess, you need to use extra firm tofu which holds its shape better than the softer varieties. Then the nutritional yeast, turmeric and different kinds of salt give this scramble a cheesy, salty flavor. I love eating this Cheesy Vegan Tofu Scramble with avocado toast and fruit. You could even use it to make a breakfast burrito with some beans and salsa!
If you give this simple recipe a try, please let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Even better, take a picture and tag #theconscientiouseater on Instagram so I can see your creation!
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a little water or oil in a non-stick sauce pan or coat the pan with cooking spray.
- Sautee the onion and garlic over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
- Using your hands, crumble the firm tofu over the onion and garlic so that it resembles the texture of scrambled eggs. Stir everything together and allow the tofu to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the nutritional yeast, turmeric and garlic salt and stir everything to combine. Continue to cook the tofu for another 2-3 minutes.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.