Once you add Marmite to your avocado toast, you'll never go back! Topped with perfectly browned mushrooms and chili flakes, this simple Marmite Avocado Toast will quickly become your go-to weekend breakfast!
I don't know about you guys, but I'm really starting to miss going out to eat. While so many restaurants are still delivering to our house here in KL during this season of self-isolation, there is one restaurant that I've been craving which doesn't deliver.
I've only ordered one dish from this restaurant and continue to order it every time we go back because it's that good! The dish I order is Marmite avocado toast with sautéed mushrooms and chili flakes. While it's such a simple meal, it's the best combination I've ever had!
What Is Marmite?
If you don't know what Marmite is or have tried it and hate it, please still try this dish! I had never really eaten marmite until I order this toast and it's now one of my favorite spreads to have on hand. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Marmite (or similar products like Vegemite), it's basically a spread created from yeast extract. Sound delicious, right? I know. Definitely not the most appetizing sounding spread, but if you learn how to use it, you'll fall in love with it!
Is Marmite Gluten-Free?
Unfortunately, Marmite is not gluten-free as one of it's main ingredients is an extract derived from brewer's yeast, which can contain small levels of gluten.
Is Marmite Vegan?
Yes! Eat away all you vegans!
How To Use Marmite
I feel like people either love or hate Marmite. People in the UK and Australia tend to like it more than Americans as kids in those parts of the world are often exposed to it at an earlier age.
If you've never tried Marmite before, my recommendation is to not try it plain! It is a super salty, rich spread and isn't meant to be eaten on its own. My best tip is to spread a very thin layer onto some toast and then top it with something creamy like butter or avocado. Then, instead of being the star of the show, the Marmite simply acts as a flavorful seasoning.
Vitamins In Marmite
Something to keep in mind when consuming Marmite is that it contains a lot of B vitamins, including B1, B2, B3, B9, B12. Due to its high B vitamin content, it has been banned by some countries in the past, but in general it's a great way to get in your B vitamins, as long as it's done in moderation.
How To Sauté Mushrooms So They're Brown And Flavorful
In addition to Marmite, mushrooms are a key ingredient in this dish. But they need to be cooked correctly! Mushrooms release a lot of moisture when they are cooked, so it's important to cook them in oil over high heat and give them lots of space in the pan. If the mushrooms are too crowded, then the moisture they release won't evaporate and they'll end up more slimy and wet instead of browned and flavorful.
Fun Avocado Toast Variations
If you want more inspiration on how to jazz up your basic avocado toast, try out these combinations:
- Cream cheese, avocado and everything but the bagel seasoning
- Avocado, salsa and crushed tortilla chips
- Avocado and tofu scramble
- Avocado, tomato and fresh basil
- Avocado, tapenade and tomato
- Avocado, strawberries and balsamic vinegar
- Avocado, corn salad and lime juice
And I always recommend adding some good quality sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to your avocado toast!
Other Amazing Recipes With Avocado
- Vegan Tapenade and Avocado Sandwich
- Cilantro Lemon Quinoa Salad
- Lemon Avocado Chickpea Mash
- Healthy Vegan Shamrock Shake (No Bananas!)
- The Best Savory Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
Marmite Avocado Toast
- In a sauté pan, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Wash your mushrooms by rubbing a damp towel over the tops to remove any dirt. Slice the mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms in the olive oil in a single layer until browned on one side. Turn them over and cook until browned on the other side. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, toast your bread.
- After your bread has toasted, spread a thin layer of Marmite on each slice. Next spread on a fairly thick layer of mashed avocado.
- Top the toast with the sautéed mushrooms and season with chili flakes, black pepper and more salt if desire. Just remember Marmite is really salty!