Dairy-free and sweetened with coconut sugar, you're going to want this Homemade Vegan Nutella on hand at all times! It's rich, creamy and only requires 5 ingredients to make!
If you've haven't already figured it out, our family is OBSESSED with homemade nut butter.
Store-bought nut butters are good too, but homemade, drippy nut butter is one of my favorite things in the to make and eat! We are currently obsessed with this decadent pecan butter.
I've shared a fairly detailed post on How to Make Homemade Peanut Butter, including three different flavor variations (classic, cinnamon and chocolate).
But today I'm sharing with you how to make homemade vegan Nutella.
It couldn't be easier to make, so let's jump right in!
Ingredients You'll Need for Homemade Nutella
This Homemade Vegan Nutella recipe requires only 4 (sometimes 5) ingredients to make and is ready to be enjoyed in under a half an hour. Yay!
All you'll need to make this Nutella are the following 5 ingredients:
- Raw hazelnuts, no skin
- Sea salt
- Coconut sugar (or any dry sugar you desire)
- Cocoa powder (or cacao powder)
- Coconut oil (optional!)
How to Make Homemade Nutella with Step-by-Step Instructions
You'll could be enjoying this Homemade Vegan Nutella in under 30 minutes if you follow these simple, step-by-step instructions!
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350F/175C and spread the raw hazelnuts onto a baking sheet.
- Step 2: Roast the hazelnuts for 7-15 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- Step 3: Place the roasted hazelnuts into your food processor and process them until a smooth nut butter forms.
- Step 4: Add in the coconut sugar and cacao powder and process again until everything is smooth and well combined.
- Step 5: If the Nutella is a little thick, you can stream in 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil to make it extra smooth and runny.
- Step 6: Pour the Nutella into a sealable jar, allow it to cool and then seal it and store it in the fridge for 1-2 weeks...if it lasts that long!
Is Nutella Vegan?
Classic, store-bought Nutella is not vegan as it contains milk.
However, today's homemade Nutella recipe is in fact vegan, dairy-free and super easy to make!
Is Nutella Gluten Free?
Thankfully for everyone who is allergic to gluten or gluten intolerant, Nutella is gluten-free!
How to Store Homemade Nutella
While I doubt your homemade Nutella will last long enough to go bad, I recommend storing it in an airtight container or jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, if not longer.
If you store it at room temperature, the nuts could go rancid, so refrigerating it is your best option!
Equipment You'll Need to Make Homemade Nutella (or Any Nut Butters!)
When it comes to making homemade nut butters, you'll need a few key kitchen appliances and some basic kitchen equipment.
I'll list out what I use to make homemade nut butter below:
- Oven: An oven is how you'll roast the nuts to bring out more of their natural oils and flavor!
- Baking sheet: You'll need to place the nuts onto a baking sheet in order to roast them in the oven.
- Food processor (or high speed blender): While I high speed blender can work, I definitely like to use a food processor when it comes to making homemade nut butters.
- Measuring cups and spoons: In order to get the perfect taste, I recommend using measuring cups and spoons to measure out the ingredients.
- Rubber spatula: A rubber spatula works best when trying to get all of the nut butter out of your food processor.
- Sealable jar or container: You'll need a jar or Tupperware with a lid to store the Nutella in once it's made.
I'd love to know if you give this Homemade Vegan Nutella recipe a try and what you think! If you enjoy it, you'll also love my Healthy Nutella Energy Bites!
Please let me know in the comments below and by leaving a 5 star review. You can do that by clicking on the stars in the recipe card.
Be sure to share the recipe with your friends and family as well! OR you can give it as a gift this holiday season to any nut butter lovers you know.
Homemade Vegan Nutella
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts no skin
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and spread the raw hazelnuts onto a baking sheet.
- Roast the hazelnuts for 7-15 minutes or until fragrant and slightly golden. Watch them carefully towards the end to make sure they don't burn. Allow the roasted hazelnuts to cool for a few minutes.
- Place the roasted hazelnuts and sea salt into your food processor and process on high until smooth, 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the coconut sugar and cocoa powder and process again until well combined and smooth.
- If necessary, stream in the coconut oil to achieve an even smoother Nutella.
- Pour the Nutella into a jar with a lid and allow it to cool before sealing it and storing it in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.