Using just a few easy steps, 2 ingredients--roasted pecans and sea salt--are blending together to create this rich and decadent Homemade Pecan Butter! This pecan butter will quickly become your new favorite frosting...it's that good!
If you know me well, you'll know that I LOVE making homemade nut butter. I feel so accomplished making nut butter at home and its so much easier to do than I ever thought. I started with making homemade peanut butter and then branched out into different flavors of peanut butter. Soon I was whipping up almond and cashew butter and even Homemade Vegan Nutella. Then, just recently I discovered how rich and delicious homemade pecan butter is. It honestly tastes like frosting!
Why You'll Love This Recipe!
- This pecan butter takes only 2 ingredients to make.
- If you have a good food processor or a high speed blender, you can be enjoying this homemade pecan butter in under 30 minutes.
- We sometimes use this pecan butter as "frosting" for our breakfast muffins. Not only does it taste super rich and decadent, but it pairs perfectly with any baked good you put it on!
- Due to their high fat content, pecans are a really easy to blend into butter. This recipe is perfect for homemade-nut-butter-newbies!
- Pecans - You'll want raw pecans! I love to buy all of my nuts in bulk and store them in the freezer. Buying in bulk saves me money in the long run and the freezer keeps them from going rancid.
- Sea salt - Look for fine sea salt. Any good quality sea salt will work. If you don't have sea salt and are using table salt, start with less than the recipe states. Table salt and iodized salt is saltier than sea salt, so it's easy to add too much. You can always add more, but you can't take any away.
See recipe card below for a full list of measurements.
Once you learn how to make basic nut butter, you'll want to start experimenting with different flavors and variations. For this homemade pecan butter, after you've processed the pecans into a butter, you can add in some of the flavors/spices listed below and process again until smooth.
- Cinnamon - Add in some cinnamon for extra flavor and warmth.
- Chocolate - For a rich, chocolatey pecan butter, add in cocoa powder and sugar.
- Salted - For a sweet and salty pecan butter, add in a touch more salt and some sugar to balance it out.
How to Make Homemade Pecan Butter
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 175C / 350F and spread the raw pecans onto your baking tray.
Step 2: Roast the pecans for about 5 minutes. Give them a stir and roast for another 2-5 minutes, watching closely towards the end to keep them from burning. They should be a deeper color and fragrant.
Step 4: Blend until a smooth nut butter forms.
- I've found that roasting your pecans for the perfect amount of time is crucial. If you take them out too early, you'll have a thick, less-flavorful pecan butter. If you roast them too long, your homemade pecan butter will taste burnt. But if you take them out once they've changed color and are fragrant, then they'll blend easily and turn into delicious, decadent pecan butter!
- If you're using table salt instead of sea salt, start by adding less than the recipe calls for. Otherwise, you're pecan butter will be too salty.
From start to finish, it should take less than 30 minutes to make homemade pecan butter. As for hands-on-time, the amount of time I had to be involved in making this pecan butter was less than 10 minutes.
If you don't have a high speed blender, don't worry! You can easily make this homemade pecan butter (or any nut butter for that matter) in a food processor. Both work great.
Yes! That is, if you have a high speed blender. You'll just want to make sure your nuts have been fully roasted and then cooled before you blend them into butter.
If you'll eat through your homemade nut butter in less than a week, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature. To keep this pecan butter lasting longer, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
More Homemade Nut Butter Recipes!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a comment further down the page!
How To Make Homemade Pecan Butter
- Spread the 4 cups of raw pecans evenly on your baking tray and roast them for 5 minutes. Give them a stir and roast them for another 2-5 minutes, watching them closely as you don't want them to burn!
- (Using a Vitamix) Place the cooled, roasted pecans and sea salt into your Vitamix and, after gradually increasing the power to high, use the tamper to press the pecans into the blades until a smooth, creamy pecan butter forms. This takes less than 1 minute for me and I never do this longer than 1 minute to make sure I don't overheat my Vitamix.*
- (Using a Food Processor) Place the roasted and cooled pecans and sea salt into a quality food processor and process on high for 5-20 minutes, depending on the strength of your food processor, until a shiny, smooth nut butter forms. You will need to stop the processor every few minutes to scrap down the sides of the bowl.
- Store the Homemade Pecan Butter in a sealed glass jar in the fridge!
- We love using about ½ teaspoon of sea salt when making this homemade pecan butter, but if you like things less salty, start with just ¼ teaspoon.
- It always scares me to use my Vitamix to make nut butter, but when done correctly you shouldn't have any issues. I like to set a timer for 1 minute before I begin so that I make sure to stop before overheating my blender. You first increase the speed to 10 then flip the power to high and then use the tamper to continually press the nuts into the blades. It will be loud and scary, but just keep pressing the nuts into the blades using the tamper. As soon as the pecans are all blended (sometimes the blades make a "catching" noise) I turn my blender off.